• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help Find Me a MTB

Grassi21

Yeah, another one of these threads. So far I am looking at the following 2 bikes. The Cannondale is an 08 and available at my lbs. Not sure what size frame it is yet so it may fall of my list quickly. Besides these two. An suggestions? Looking to spend around $500 - 600. Just starting out. Not looking for a FS. Not looking to get into gnarly terrain but would like to dabble in some tougher stuff when I am ready.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8FS5.html

gmcunni

grassi, i had similar requirments when looking for my new bike. I ended up with the trek 4500. I spent more than i wanted to but really like the bike. i got it at a LBS in your town.

Greg

Staff member
I think either of those would suffice. And I think with either you can probably get away with tackling some pretty "gnarly terrain." Size is important. When in doubt, or if in between sizes, go smaller. I suspect you're going to be riding some of the techy and tight singletrack like you've done at Nassahegan with us and a smaller bike is easier to manhandle.

One thing about the Ibex route. You're going to need to assemble it partially. Not that it's difficult, but understand that. Also, if you need to have some service done early on, you're going to have to pay the LBS to work on an Ibex. A nice benefit of purchasing a bike at the LBS is you'll usually get a year of free tunes or a "warranty" period. Unless you plan to learn how to maintain your bike on your own, that's a big plus of buying local. Leverage internet prices to get the best deal, but understand they need to make a buck and again, that rapport you build on the service front is worth some extra coin.

Grassi21

grassi, i had similar requirments when looking for my new bike. I ended up with the trek 4500. I spent more than i wanted to but really like the bike. i got it at a LBS in your town.

nice. that is what i am heading tomorrow. did you get an 08 or 09? do they offer tune-ups or any other service perks for buying from them? the ibex looks to have better components but some kind of service plan would make it worth buying local.

bvibert

Staff member
One thing about the Ibex route. You're going to need to assemble it partially. Not that it's difficult, but understand that. Also, if you need to have some service done early on, you're going to have to pay the LBS to work on an Ibex. A nice benefit of purchasing a bike at the LBS is you'll usually get a year of free tunes or a "warranty" period. Unless you plan to learn how to maintain your bike on your own, that's a big plus of buying local. Leverage internet prices to get the best deal, but understand they need to make a buck and again, that rapport you build on the service front is worth some extra coin.

Good points. I think you'll find the free service you get by purchasing at the LBS a big plus when first starting out.

Grassi21

I think either of those would suffice. And I think with either you can probably get away with tackling some pretty "gnarly terrain." Size is important. When in doubt, or if in between sizes, go smaller. I suspect you're going to be riding some of the techy and tight singletrack like you've done at Nassahegan with us and a smaller bike is easier to manhandle.

i was hoping for some type of service assistance until i know enough to turn my own wrenches. my fear with the cannondale is that they only have one 08. from what i understand the price on the 09s went up an its basically the same bike. i'm pretty sure they carry trek, specialized, and felt as well.

bvibert

Staff member
IMHO any bike in that price range is going to be pretty similar and will work good for you. More important is the fit. Get which ever bike is in your price range and fits you the best. Take whatever they have for a spin or two around the parking lot at the very least, to see how they feel.

gmcunni

nice. that is what i am heading tomorrow. did you get an 08 or 09? do they offer tune-ups or any other service perks for buying from them? the ibex looks to have better components but some kind of service plan would make it worth buying local.

i wanted an 08 but the only color option available didn't appeal to me so i ended up with an 09.

when they ordered it for me (they ordered it without any money down so i could try it on for size before purchasing) it was listed as 08. when he got it they had sent an 09 and he split the difference on the price. they threw in kickstand and waterbottle. 1 year free adjustments is standard and i think a discount on parts (at least he gave me a discount on the pump and 2 tubes i bought at the same time) i'm going back in the winter to get my son a bike there for Christmas, i was very happy with the service.

MR. evil

FWIW - the service offered with a new bike at an LBS ussually consists on nothing more than minor adjustments.

Greg

Staff member
i was hoping for some type of service assistance until i know enough to turn my own wrenches. my fear with the cannondale is that they only have one 08. from what i understand the price on the 09s went up an its basically the same bike. i'm pretty sure they carry trek, specialized, and felt as well.

IMHO any bike in that price range is going to be pretty similar and will work good for you. More important is the fit. Get which ever bike is in your price range and fits you the best. Take whatever they have for a spin or two around the parking lot at the very least, to see how they feel.

What Brian said. Don't force a purchase on a discounted 08 that doesn't fit that well. However, I do believe that as long as you're in the ball park in terms of frame size you can tweak most bikes to ride relatively comfortably (stem height, shifter/brake position, seat height, saddle fore/aft). But test riding obviously is a good idea. It may not hurt to call ahead of time to see what models they have in your price range. Arm yourself with internet pricing on those models for leverage (consider shipping costs, sales tax if applicable) and see if you can meet somewhere in the middle at the LBS.

MR. evil

Also try bikes from several different Mfr's . They all have different geometry, some may feel great while other not. For instance Gary Fisher bikes just don't feel comfortable for my body type.

Also, see if you can located a Jamis dealer. Jamis is known for offering the most bang for the buck in the brands sold at bike shops. Before i got my Ibex I was looking at a Jamis.

gmcunni

Yeah, another one of these threads. So far I am looking at the following 2 bikes. The Cannondale is an 08 and available at my lbs.

btw, it is totally a personal choice thing, but i didn't like the shifter on the cannondale. I rode the f7disk and the trek.. the f7 shifters were on the same side of the grip. not sure how to explain it but on my old bike and the trek you use your thumb (push) and index finger (pull) to shift. F7 was a thumb only. felt awkward.

bvibert

Staff member
btw, it is totally a personal choice thing, but i didn't like the shifter on the cannondale. I rode the f7disk and the trek.. the f7 shifters were on the same side of the grip. not sure how to explain it but on my old bike and the trek you use your thumb (push) and index finger (pull) to shift. F7 was a thumb only. felt awkward.

The SRAM trigger shifters are like that while the Shimano use the push with the thumb, pull with the finger configuration. It's personal preference, but I prefer the Shimano setup myself.

Greg

Staff member
FWIW - the service offered with a new bike at an LBS ussually consists on nothing more than minor adjustments.

That may be, but look at what Jeff went through with his Cannondale. His LBS gave him a rad loaner while his bike is out of commission. That ain't happening if you purchase online. That piece of mind is worth a premium price IMHO. Also, understand that Chris has a pre-toddler. I can relate that free time to learn how to and actively perform bike maintenance when raising a family is not all that abundant. If you already know how to maintain your bike, and have the free time to actually do it, than internet is the way to go to save some coin.

MR. evil

Sounds like the F7 has SRAM shifters. That is what I have and will never go back to Shimmano! I now prefer the thumb only shifting and SRAM just works better than Shimmano. Shifts faster, cleaner & much harder to get out of wack due to the design.

MR. evil

That may be, but look at what Jeff went through with his Cannondale. His LBS gave him a rad loaner while his bike is out of commission. .

Jeff got real lucky! Not many shops would do that.

Greg

Staff member
Also, see if you can located a Jamis dealer. Jamis is known for offering the most bang for the buck in the brands sold at bike shops. Before i got my Ibex I was looking at a Jamis.

My hardtail is a cheap ass Jamis. I beat on it pretty thoroughly before I got my Trek and it still rides pretty good. It was starting to creak a bit, but still held up to everything I threw at it. These guys (Middlebury) sell Jamis:

http://www.bicycleworksllc.com/

I've been in that shop. They're new, but the owner seemed pretty knowledgeable.

bvibert

Staff member
That may be, but look at what Jeff went through with his Cannondale. His LBS gave him a rad loaner while his bike is out of commission. That ain't happening if you purchase online. That piece of mind is worth a premium price IMHO. Also, understand that Chris has a pre-toddler. I can relate that free time to learn how to and actively perform bike maintenance when raising a family is not all that abundant. If you already know how to maintain your bike, and have the free time to actually do it, than internet is the way to go to save some coin.

Even if you have a clue what you're doing trying to maintain your bike while raising a family is not easy. IMHO buying online is a perfectly good option for a seasoned rider who's comfortable doing their own maintenance and knows what they like for fit, but I don't recommend that route for the first time buyer.