• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 4/2-4/3 Storm Discussion Thread

awf170

You guys know anything about this storm, i no it is pretty huge and most ski areas are in the 4+ inches of rain, but i think higher ski areas like wildcat and sugarloaf could get some snow.
Supposed to get a few inches 2night :D

dmc

Re: The Official 4/02-3/03 Storm Discussion Thread

awf170 said:
You guys know anything about this storm, i no it is pretty huge and most ski areas are in the 4+ inches of rain, but i think higher ski areas like wildcat and sugarloaf could get some snow.

Well I can't go to Wildcat now... :)
I'm afraid... Someone may be rude to me...

Serisouly... This rain is going to kill most places.. You got no base... You aint lasting the weekend..

ALLSKIING

Staff member

dmc said:
awf170 said:

Well I can't go to Wildcat now... :)
I'm afraid... Someone may be rude to me...

Serisouly... This rain is going to kill most places.. You got no base... You aint lasting the weekend..
Thats harsh. True but harsh. :cry:

ALLSKIING

Staff member

awf170 said:
I have seen reports of Ice some snow and lots of rain.

loafer89

Accuweather is saying that Western New York may get accumulating snow and there is that potential for the higher elevations of Eastern New York and Pennsylvania as colder air gets worked into the storm on sunday.

DMC as you said you would before I would be gratefull for an honest report on Hunter next week as I would like to come up next weekend to ski Westway if possible. I hope that Warren can manage skiing on Hellgate and Belt Parkway. That will be my last ski day until Killington in May.

dmc

loafer89 said:
DMC as you said you would before I would be gratefull for an honest report on Hunter next week as I would like to come up next weekend to ski Westway if possible. I hope that Warren can manage skiing on Hellgate and Belt Parkway. That will be my last ski day until Killington in May.

Always..

subdude

All i'm going to say is start to gather up 2 of every animal. Folks The heavy rainfall, combined with current high stream flows and snow melt from the northern basins, May produce very serious and widespread flooding across SNE. They're talking the largest flooding we've seen since 1987 and I remember that one where it rained for 7 straight days. If you live near a stream or river head for the hills.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
subdude said:
All i'm going to say is start to gather up 2 of every animal. Folks The heavy rainfall, combined with current high stream flows and snow melt from the northern basins, May produce very serious and widespread flooding across SNE. They're talking the largest flooding we've seen since 1987 and I remember that one where it rained for 7 straight days. If you live near a stream or river head for the hills.
I wish the temps were in the 20's..What a dump this would be....Feet of snow.

loafer89

The NWS forecast for the Stowe area is for 1-3" of rain begining after 1AM on saturday and there is a flood watch for the area. The rain may end as some snow on sunday, accuweather is prediciting a few inches of accumulation possible????

ctenidae

It's gonna be a real turd floater in Boston, they say. At least it'll wash some of the sand off the sidewalks.

tekweezle

anybody have any opinions on whether Sunday in the catskills might still be good?

I know hunter has got a good base and top notch grooming crew. the weather report says snow mix for that day.

loafer89

The storm looks to be a slow mover, hence the heavy rainfall, so Hunter might be very wet or white on sunday. I want to try to sneak on over to Hidden Valley if the weather looks good enough on sunday as just about everything in CT is now closed.

gores95

tekweezle said:
anybody have any opinions on whether Sunday in the catskills might still be good?

I know hunter has got a good base and top notch grooming crew. the weather report says snow mix for that day.

Ya know I was thinking of Hunter this Monday. I too am curious what will be left up there after this weather system goes through. I guess we'll all be watching TWC and accuweather.com.

If anyone can groom the mountain back to shape its Hunter but I worry about them throwing in the towel. How high can their profit margins be after a couple of spring storms and April 1 showing on the calendar??? I am sure they expect crowds to be THIN at this point so who knows.

dmc

gores95 said:
tekweezle said:

Ya know I was thinking of Hunter this Monday. I too am curious what will be left up there after this weather system goes through. I guess we'll all be watching TWC and accuweather.com.

If anyone can groom the mountain back to shape its Hunter but I worry about them throwing in the towel. How high can their profit margins be after a couple of spring storms and April 1 showing on the calendar??? I am sure they expect crowds to be THIN at this point so who knows.

Hunter will be open until the second weekend in April..

The mountain STILL has tons of snow left... Over 15' on Hellgate we estimated...

We'll pick up some skiers from Mt Creek but mostly Park traffic...

I'll report on the mountains shape this weekend.. At some point.. Probably going to ski a least a few runs tomorrow and Sunday...

loafer89

Well I can forget about Hidden Valley as they have decided to close for the season, that leaves the option of skiing at Woodbury for any turns close to home. No Thanks.

I will wait for next weekend.

bvibert

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Well I can forget about Hidden Valley as they have decided to close for the season, that leaves the option of skiing at Woodbury for any turns close to home. No Thanks.

I will wait for next weekend.

Butternut in Great Barrington MA is supposed to be open. It shouldn't be more than an hour further than Sundown for you...

jct

The Springfield Massachusetts weather just predicted 2" - 5" rain :oops:

I noticed Mt Snow has a special on Tuesday the 5th, 2 skiers = $50.

I think I'll go...