• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official Insomniacs Thread

thaller1

I'm awake! have been since 1:00am...I had surgery yesterday and the oxycodone is making me want to peel a layer of skin off!! ITCHY...they benedryl is helping a little..but wow!

Surprisingly, I haven't had too much pain..the most was just out of the OR and in recovery...the Nurse hit me with a little more of that wonderful IV I wish I couldv'e taken home with me....LOL

Anyway, no sheep to be found here in North Yarmouth, Maine.. so I guess I'll "window" shop online at some of the ski sites..

T

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm awake! have been since 1:00am...I had surgery yesterday and the oxycodone is making me want to peel a layer of skin off!! ITCHY...they benedryl is helping a little..but wow!

Surprisingly, I haven't had too much pain..the most was just out of the OR and in recovery...the Nurse hit me with a little more of that wonderful IV I wish I couldv'e taken home with me....LOL

Anyway, no sheep to be found here in North Yarmouth, Maine.. so I guess I'll "window" shop online at some of the ski sites..

T
Are you allergic to the Oxycodone? I know the Vicodin I was prescribed for my rib bruising said itchiness is a sign of potential allergy. I stopped taking it because of that and my doctor agreed that I might be allergic.

Are you allergic to the Oxycodone? I know the Vicodin I was prescribed for my rib bruising said itchiness is a sign of potential allergy. I stopped taking it because of that and my doctor agreed that I might be allergic.

I'll buy them off of you....drool!!!! I freaking love Vicodin..

drjeff

T

That's okay, they make high horsepower "happy" drugs for Codeine based allergic folks like you lovely ladies!

Worse comes to worse, pop enough Benadryl to deal with the itching and you'll be sound asleep in no time! ;)

thaller1

I have this reaction to all of the codeine/codone based drugs... I've been popping bendryl like there' s no tomorrow!! I stopped taking the oxycodone and decided to just stick w/ the oxycontin which doesn't seem to have the same effect..interesting.

drjeff

I have this reaction to all of the codeine/codone based drugs... I've been popping bendryl like there' s no tomorrow!! I stopped taking the oxycodone and decided to just stick w/ the oxycontin which doesn't seem to have the same effect..interesting.

The oxycontin is 1 step "up the food chain" than the oxycodone. Meaning that as your liver starts breaking the drug down and releasing all those wonderful narcotic agents that bind to our pain receptors and make us "happy", Oxycontin's basic 1st breakdown step is to oxycodone, and then they continue through a few more intermediate breakdown steps until eventually you get to codeine. Also, the Oxycontin tends to be a time released drug whereas the Oxycodone breaks down quickly and hits your system all at once. The time release factor may explain some of it. Plus, if it was a true anaphylactic allergy situation, with the 2nd dose of the Oxycodone you took, your airway would have swelled up mighty quick, and an itchy rash would be the least of your worries then :eek: Think bee sting or severe peanut allergy :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe if you need something similar again, you'll get to experience the "wonders" of a drug called Darvocet. All the horsepower of an Oxycodone containing drug, but the active narcotic agent, Propoxyphene Hydrochloride, doesn't eventually end up as Codeine.

thaller1

Insomniac here.. 2:16am in North Yarmouth, Maine... just took my meds ..hopefully will fall asleep again shortly. I've had Darvocet in the past ... not sure why they didn't prescribe that..oh well, I'm on the upside now anyway...only 2 pills left for tomorrow and I'm on to just Tylenol.

Pain is minimal... however, so is sleep...LOL.. I'm getting along just fine though... Hubby is doing all the cooking for now.. he pulled out two sirloin tip steaks tonight..cooked them like they were filet mignons.... a little CHEWY... but tasty..we put them aside and he grilled up a t-bone which we had a little of...that was yummy....tomorrow I'll take the leftover sirloin and marinate it, cut it up and cook it with onions... should be good..

Mom is coming up in the morning with breakfast and coffee...I'm looking forward to that...mmmmmmmmmmmm coffee...

My Administrative Asst. gave her notice today..that sucked..since I won't be back full time for another week and a half and I have not the energy to start interviewing...sigh..

anyone looking for a job? LOL

Ok, sleep....come on... anytime now would be good....

dmc

My problem is a I tend to wake up around 430 or 5 every morning...
Unless I'm going to bed around those time...

pisses me off... I think it's from years of living on a farm and rising early to take care of animals... I think it's the sound of the birds... My cats love it... Their ready to rock and roll at 4am...

Thursday through Saturday nights I don't care how much sleep I get because I can make it up with nice naps on the weekend..but once ski season starts...I never get to sleep late..last night I went to bed at 2AM and I woke up at 10AM..perfect

drjeff

Last night wasn't good and it was my own stupid fault too :mad: I got in a late evening workout that finished up @11. Cooled down for a few minutes and then took a shower about 11:30. I figured that I watch Nightline and head to bed around midnight. Well I fell asleep on the couch watching Nightline and woke up about 1AM because I was cold. I went shivering to bed figuring that I might be able to steal some heat from my radiator of a wife. Problem is she was up tossing and turning most of last night with a strained muscle in her lower back from lugging too much heavy stuff around in our basement a few days ago. So from basically 1AM until around 4AM I'm awake because I was cold and couldn't re-warm + my wife was tossing and turning the whole time :mad: :mad: Then finally way too soon after I get to sleep the alarm goes off at 6:30 :mad:

kid3

I work 2nd shift, 4 to midnight. For the first time in my life I am actually sleeping a solid 6. Once in awhile even 7hrs. I get home between 1 a.m and 2. Depends if I stop at the bar! I pour myself a glass of wine and sit on the porch and listen to the scary night sounds. Might have myself a little smoke and usually in bed by 3. I wake up at nine and race downstairs to catch an hour of Sopranos on A&E. Makes me happy! If I am skiing I get to the mountain around noonish, ski for 3 hours or so and back at work by 4.

Not that this information will help you get a better night sleep. I used to find that if I went to bed before 11 I would be awake at 1-2 and toss and turn for the rest of the night.

Good Luck! Try Sleepytime tea and a safety meeting!

Skier75

Damm I hate when that happens, that last post by UK was me not him! Got to start looking to see who's logged in! See, I think I still need more sleep! Having my coffee right now.

I just woke up to my alarm at 8:40AM...another great night of sleep...this time champagne, beer and a safety meeting all contributed to a solid 7 hours..

BeanoNYC

Spoke too soon. I'm at it again. Went to the homebrew shop after work. After, I stopped by a microbrewery for some barleywine and a growler of beer. Fell asleep around 10:00 ...been up for a few hours now.

wa-loaf

Spoke too soon. I'm at it again. Went to the homebrew shop after work. After, I stopped by a microbrewery for some barleywine and a growler of beer. Fell asleep around 10:00 ...been up for a few hours now.

Maybe you should lay off the sauce? :p