Interesting Summary of Killington's Snowmaking Energy Use

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Interesting Summary of Killington's Snowmaking Energy Use

I found this article interesting from an engineering perspective so I thought I'd share it with everyone. I hope this doesn't turn into a K sucks at snow making or K should blow more snow on XYZ trail thread.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/P...0Narrative.pdf

I know they rent a bunch of diesel compressors each season, but I wasn't sure if they were air or water. I also didn't realize that there is a lot of ingress/egress in their air distribution system.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
    I found this article interesting from an engineering perspective so I thought I'd share it with everyone. I hope this doesn't turn into a K sucks at snow making or K should blow more snow on XYZ trail thread.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/P...0Narrative.pdf

I know they rent a bunch of diesel compressors each season, but I wasn't sure if they were air or water. I also didn't realize that there is a lot of ingress/egress in their air distribution system.
    Great find! Thanks.

Killington ops calls the snowmaking system the world's largest sprinkler. When the American Skiing Company got into financial trouble in 1999, Killington pretty much ignored preventative maint on the snowmaking system for 8 years and small leaks were completely ignored. Last year, the new owners spent millions replacing the worst of the pipe and valves. It will probably take them a half dozen years to bring the system back how it was when Preston Smith sold the place. It's the largest snowmaking system in the world and much of the pipe is 30 or more years old.

Swapping in energy efficient guns is good business sense. With today's energy costs, I'd think that would pay for itsself quickly.

I hope Powdr didn't pay a lot for that engineering analysis. Geoff's point about the sad state of the Killington snow making piping systems is too true. It is common to hear compressed air leaks and see water leaks in the system. The snow making infrastructure is easily degraded through benign neglect and hard to regain, ask Magic Mountain.

What is an "RBG" snowgun as described in the text?

Red Blue Green? No wait, that's how TV works...sort of

Since water compresses very little, most of the time they're called water pumps, or air compressors...
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Red Blue Green? No wait, that's how TV works...sort of
    Good for an early-afternoon chuckle.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Since water compresses very little, most of the time they're called water pumps, or air compressors...
    I almost replied with a remark about the compressibility of water and refrained because he might have been talking about air versus water cooled air compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I almost replied with a remark about the compressibility of water and refrained because he might have been talking about air versus water cooled air compressors.
    Good call.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

I don't remember when I went for a run down Sunrise after they closed it... did they yank the Snowmaking pipes from the runs that were covered over there?

Thread Information