Hurricane Ike and AlpineZone.com - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My company, which employs thousands in a Houston facility has just announced it will be closed from Friday until Monday. This is the first time I can recall this happening. Better start those backups now...

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    Was just kidding.
    So was I, about the fingers crossing...

Anyway, we made it through Hurricane Rita 3 years ago just fine:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/5044-hu...ezone-com.html
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So was I, about the fingers crossing...

Anyway, we made it through Hurricane Rita 3 years ago just fine:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/5044-hu...ezone-com.html

My Houston sources inform me Rita's track turned it into a near miss for Houston, as did the other storms for the past 25 years. The model consensus for Ike now projects the real possibility of a direct hit on Houston-city.

Rita
    http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-rita-2005
    Ike
    http://www.stormpulse.com/

It will be a real test of this data center to see how the redundant power and network connections stand up to a real strike. I am sure the mission-critical customers are crossing every bone in their body about now. they could be without power for days, and the network is apt to be interrupted from many paths. I checked out the Cyrusone web and while they talk about physical security, water is often electronics worst enemy.

In one of our data centers last fall, also in Texas, there was a main power circuit breaker failure, which kicked on the generators. It took three days to replace what turned out to be a non-stock item. Unfortunately, the generator failed after 36 hours of operation and killed the data center. It was a real mess.

I would think at a minimum, there will be degradation of performance due to constricted network paths in and out of Houston. I know when I had a web hosted on servers in the Florida area, we had performance issues for several days.

It looks like the data center has a very thoughtful, well-invested plan. Seeing how it works out will be interesting.

We are lucky this isn't happening during ski season, now that would be a real issue!
    Last edited by billski; Sep 12, 2008 at 9:26 AM.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Anyone but me hear voices from South Park every time they read "Ike" ?
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Anyone but me hear voices from South Park every time they read "Ike" ?
    Kick the baby..lol..Isn't Ike Canadian like Terrance and Phillip???

Yes, thus his "...beady little eyes and flapping head ...".

Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

Thumbs up Good News

I just checked and it turns out, ALL servers hosting AlpineZone.com and related services (SkiMRV, SkiADK and the AZ.net ad server) now reside in the Atlanta data center, not the Houston data center. So, you can all now head into the weekend without worry that your post whoring will be impacted.
    I ski double black diamonds.

I just checked and it turns out, ALL servers hosting AlpineZone.com and related services (SkiMRV, SkiADK and the AZ.net ad server) now reside in the Atlanta data center, not the Houston data center. So, you can all now head into the weekend without worry that your post whoring will be impacted.
    Good news!
    Brian

Holy crap..that's the best news ever,,,my life no longer sucks..

Thank the lord for the divine intervention!!

Thread Information