• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maudslay State Park - Newburyport, MA: March 16, 2003

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Date(s) Hiked: March 16, 2003
Trails(s) Hiked: Various Perimeter Trails
Total Distance: 3-4 Miles
Difficulty: Easy
Conditions: Packed Snow
Special Required Equipment: Sun Glasses and a Camera
Trip Report: As Follows

Originally planed to ski Sunday; but suffering from a sore ankle from way way too much bump skiing at Sunday River on Friday's Dollar Day, I opted to get a warm up for my hiking season by doing some local flat land hiking at Maudslay State Park in Newburyport, MA.

Under the trees, snow was packed down solid with about 2 inchs depth in most sections. I barebooted the entire time and passed one couple unhappily lugging around a pair of snowshoes, completely useless in such well packed down conditions. In the more open gladed sections, snow depths were around half a foot and a post hole of an inch or two was actually quite delightful! Sinking down into the soft wet snow melting under the warm sun was a great feeling.

Skies were blue, temperatures were in the low 40s, and a slight breeze kept me cool as I made my way around the perimeter of the area. Not much wild life to speak of except for a horse with rider, and lots of dogs accompanied by couples seeking a quite stroll through the woods. An occasion skier and lots of ski tracks were to be found through out the woods. This will probably be the last weekend skiers will be able to take advantage of the Park for this winter.

Unfortunately for my own viewing pleasure, about half the water front was closed due to Eagle nesting grounds and sensitive flower zones. Where the river was accessable, the Merrimack River's (the inspiration for the first half of my online name) dark blue was highlighted by several chucks of ice and snow floating down stream toward the river's final destination.

A very level and flat walk through the woods and some open glades, this stroll is an excellent local flat land hike for those in the area. No mud yet as all trails were snow packed, although expect that to change in the coming week or two with the warmer weather.

Pictures are available here.