• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008 September 11th remembrance thread

mondeo

I see those videos and it just shakes me to my core. Even though my house is over 100 miles away as the bird flys from NYC, I saw the towers for the last time from the Veranzano Bridge on Sept 9 as my wife and I were driving home from seeing my brother who lived in Philly at that time. I never want to feel that amount of emptiness again, but what I do hope happens again,is the unfortunately short lived, sense of unity that this country had soon thereafter :flag:
My first trip to NYC was in May 2001, I think we got there at night so for the most part we didn't really get a good view of the skyline until we left. The thing that struck me as we left was the impressiveness of the structures, a testament to what mankind is capable of. As a high school junior headed towards going to college for engineering, that's stuck with me as an inspiration, just the feat of engineering that they were. Not the personal connection a lot of people around here have to them, but I'm glad I at least got to see them once.

Greg

Staff member
They were an impressive structure. I was in 2nd grade the first time I went to the city. As a 7 year old, those buildings looked even bigger and I was obsessed with drawing the NYC skyline as a kid. I remember another time probably late 90's glancing down 6th Avenue from midtown. If you got the angle just right, boom, there they were. I agree with others, the skyline looks so different now.

dmc

i was just thinking "Windows on the World" was a GREAT place to take a date.. If you could get past the occasional swaying motion.. :)
I used to always try for a table that looked uptown..

We also used to play frisbee between the towers... The draft would really mess with the trajectory...

SkiDork

If you could get past the occasional swaying motion.. :)

On the top floors on a windy day:

- Water in the toilet bowls would be swaying back and forth

- Doors would open on their own

- Massive amount of creaking noises from the inner walls.

I'm going to dig out my pics of my floor and post them here...

dmc

On the top floors on a windy day:

- Water in the toilet bowls would be swaying back and forth

- Doors would open on their own

- Massive amount of creaking noises from the inner walls.

I'm going to dig out my pics of my floor and post them here...

You could see the liquid in your drinks move back and forth... it was cool.. never felt afraid.

midd

That's it. Some of the footage was just from people in their apartments and their reactions. Those people that that had to make the choice to jump to their death versus burning alive is still one of the most eery aspects of that day. In one scene you can see a firefighter follow someone falling with his eyes and then he jumped back when the person hit with a look of disgust and utter sadness. Really powerful stuff.

The screams from NYU girls haunt me. awful progression from watching the fire, to realizing people were jumping to seeing the second plane hit.

bvibert

Staff member
As promised, photos of my floor prior to us moving in:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jefflanka/WTCPics

Thanks for posting those. I can only imagine what kind of memories they must bring up.

On an interesting note those cube walls and desks/drawers look just like the stuff they start installing here a few years ago as they started revamping some areas. Yes, we are behind the times...

ScottySkis

12 years ago yesterday we lost so much, thanks to the Veterans and families that lost and are currently losing love ones and family members to all kinds of medical and mental and death just horrible.