• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Bike Forum?

Do you think we should add a mountain biking forum here?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BeanoNYC

Greg,

Do you think that there is enough interest in Mountain Biking to justify a forum?

Perhaps a poll is in order. Just a suggestion.

Rich

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
Perhaps a poll is in order. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I added a poll.

mergs

my 2c...

its not a bad idea, but from my newbies perspective i sense the "soul" of this board as more of a snow or hiking site. i mtb 2-3 times a week and i am on other boards for mtb specifically. not that you would not get some traffic on mtb here, you would, but there is a lot of traffic on sites like mtbr and ridemonkey. i just would think that this site should stay focused on what its already great at...

not looking to debate it, just thought i'd throw it out there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stephen said:
Better to do a few things "the best" rather than a lot of things "just ok".

-Stephen

Good point. Begs the question of what the goal is for AZ? Quality in a few small areas of expertise, or a wider audience with broader appeal?

JimG.

Staff member
First rule of good business...stick with what you're good at. Try to offer to much to too many and you're lost.

Greg

Staff member
Some great feedback here. I agree with the comments about keeping the site's focus on what we currently cover, namely skiing and hiking in the Northeast. I think filling both a topical and geographical niche is what makes sites like this so useful. This is precisely why I set up COskiing.com as a separate site versus expanding AZ's coverage outside of the Northeast. Anyway, let's shelve this idea for now, but feel free to discuss other outdoor topics like mountain biking, fishing, etc. in the Miscellaneous forum.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
Anyway, let's shelve this idea for now, but feel free to discuss other outdoor topics like mountain biking, fishing, etc. in the Miscellaneous forum.

This sounds like a good compromise...if we get more demand, we can always expand...but it's harder to shrink :wink:

Joshua B

Sure it does. Mountain biking means off-season business to places like Killington, Loon, and other ski areas that provide lift-serviced mountain biking on their mountain trails. And less specifically, to me, the site name "AlpineZone" triggers "mountain zone." And I don't have to define "mountain biking."

BeanoNYC

thetrailboss said:
This sounds like a good compromise...if we get more demand, we can always expand...but it's harder to shrink :wink:

Quite Wise ...... I was just putting it out there. :-? I will post some biking pics in the hiking gallery though!

Charlie Schuessler

I used to ride bicycles to stay in shape for skiing & hiking…however the last 4 years or so, I'm not sure which I enjoy more at times...the low impact exercise of biking is easier on my knees thus more enjoyable than the thumping of running or even long vertical hikes with a heavy pack....

I frequent a couple of biking and motorcycling forums...they offer a pleasant difference…

ga2ski

I am torn on this issue. Not sure if there should be a separate forum after reading all the good posts. I guess I could go to one of the other sites, like mtbr, etc. but there should be less traffic on the ski forum now and it would give people some stuff to talk about during week. I know I can only get out on hike when I have a whole day to dedicate to it, but I can bike anyday and post a trail report.

It can stay in Misc as long as i know where to look.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
If you ever decide there is enough interest for this, I will volunteer time to be a Moderator...

power power POWER....

Err... I mean, I have had a lot of experience mountain biking, know the sport well and am a fairly level headed person.

Mostly.

:D

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Of course I voted yes.

I think a trip report/pictures section for mtb'ing could have a lot of potential too.

And I suppose the same goes for the freaky roadies as well.... *sigh* now that I am kinda one of those too...