• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Bike Forum?

Do you think we should add a mountain biking forum here?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Bump. Let's get this discussion going again and also please vote if you haven't done so. One question: is there a popular Northeast-based mountain biking forum out there already? No sense in re-inventing the wheel...

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
One question: is there a popular Northeast-based mountain biking forum out there already? No sense in re-inventing the wheel...
Doh!
http://www.nemba.org/NEMBAforum/

Is it even worth trying to compete with that? It seems like they've covered the topic pretty well.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Bump. Let's get this discussion going again and also please vote if you haven't done so. One question: is there a popular Northeast-based mountain biking forum out there already? No sense in re-inventing the wheel...
I don't know if there is MTB forum out there for the Northeast or not, but I bet there is at least some interest. Sundown has gotten a decent response from their proposal to add lift-served summer-time biking...
http://www.skisundown.com/terrain/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

KevinB

This is another nice site for MT. Bikers, just for Connecticut http://www.crankfire.com/ , I found it while looking for hiking trails in southern CT.
Another forum for MT Bikers , could be a good thing, it could bring in traffic when people do trail searchs and they may end up here. I found alpinezone a couple of years ago, been reading it for awhile and just finally registered.
I wouldnt look at it as a forum to compete with serious gearhead sites, but rather a place for existing members to talk about MT. Biking and possibly bring in new people.

bvibert

Staff member
KevinB said:
I wouldnt look at it as a forum to compete with serious gearhead sites, but rather a place for existing members to talk about MT. Biking and possibly bring in new people.
Good point, that would likely be a better fit for this idea..

bvibert

Staff member
Bob R said:
Maybe just make it biking. We have some members that are road bikers as well.
Another good point. I think a fair amount of skiers bike in one form or another in the off season to stay in shape.

bvibert

Staff member
Not too much new action on this post. I wonder if most people even look in this forum??

PowderDeprived

Most skiiers I know aslo mountain bike, Espeicaly in the northeast. I don't think that it would make the forum grow to much, but it would keep it more active durring the summer.

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Not too much new action on this post. I wonder if most people even look in this forum??
Good point. I moved it up to give it some more visibility,

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I joined last year and enjoy sharing knowledge and hearing others knowledge on a sport that I love, snowboarding. Using a sole forum for all mountain events (including mtn biking) WOULD increase the use of this forum year-round other than having an increased use during the winter.

I promote the forum addition and look forward to sharing knowledge and arguments on our subborn ways...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I think if this were to happen, a combined road/mountain biking or just 'cycling' forum would be appropriate. We seem to have people on here that do one or the other or both.

And I volunteer my limitless knowledge on both subjects, because I'm charitable like that ;)

Greg

Staff member
One thought. Is there any sort of animosity between roadies and MTBers? Is a merged forum just asking to become a hostile environment?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Short answer Greg?

No.

Longer answer- beyond some poking fun and friendly kidding, nothing really to speak of. From where I'm sitting anyhow.

I've been mountain biking much longer than I've been a roadie, but I never harbored any animousity. You'll see much less of that compared to between snowboarders and skiers, for instance, because road and all terrain riding are much more similar than snowboarding and skiing. It's different but it isn't a totally different skill set. And since there is no problem on this site combining skiing and snowboarding, there is even less chance for a problem combining mtbing and roading.

And there are many, many riders who do both, such as I do now.