• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hut-to-hut hikes

J

John Borders

I would appreciate suggestions for a good, roughly ten day long, hut-to-hut hike anywhere in the world. I have been going to Swiss and Italian Alps but would welcome a change. Prefer location with stable politics and no human-eating animals (i.e., somewhere basically safe).

Mike P.

Welcome John, depending on what you are looking for, either NH or VT might do.

VT, rustic, no services, basically a lodge, more like a glorified 4 sided shelter, some nicer than others.

NH, The AMC's string of huts allows you to hike from hut to hut approx. 5 - 8 miles a day & there are 8 huts, 7 provide Breakfast & dinner, One requires you to carry your own food in season. (see http://outdoors.org)

I'm familar with a couple of the huts on Zugspitze & in the long range (12-15 years) I've studied my map of Stelvio National Park in Italy where they have some huts. What kind of services to find in Italy & Switzerland? Zugspitze huttes were nicer than anything I've seen in either NH or VT away from the road. Colorado has some huts too, I've seen the outside of some, they look pretty nice.