• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Peak Tripyramid FOT48

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Been wanting to participate in Flags On the 48 for many years now, and I am very happy I could this year to remember those killed on 9/11. Our mountain was North Peak Mount Tripyramid, which we ascended starting from Livermore Road. Livermore Road is a defunct logging road that once connected Waterville Valley to the now abandoned town of Livermore. No motor vehicles are allowed on this road, only bike and foot. The first leg was done on bikes, 3.8 miles up Livermore Road, gaining 800 feet of elevation, to the North Tripyramid Trail. From there the hike began, 1.2 miles up the trail, which goes from level hiking to pretty steep quickly. Parts of this trail is a dry brook, and a rockslide. In less than a mile you’ll cover 1300 vertical feet. The rain from the night before had made a lot of the rocks slippery, and quite a lot of scrambling between holds had to be done. That was a workout let me tell you! An hour of climbing later we reached the summit. The flag pole was made up of five five foot sections of PVC pipe, held together with duct tape, and a 4×6 Flag was hoisted a little after 1 PM.

We brought the Flag down at around 2:30, and started our descent. We took the Pine Bend Brook Trail to the Scaur Ridge Trail. That trail brings us back to Livermore Road, and a short 2/10 of a mile hike back to our bikes. From there we let gravity pull us back to the starting point!

Looking very forward to participating next year! For some pictures click my page below.