• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Tripyramid - August 2, 2002

MtnMagic

Activity by Nancy H.
Trip report by MtnMagic

Thunderstorms were expected but great weather followed us during every step of this hike. Temperatures were in the low 70’s with the dew point and humidity remaining comfortably in the middle 50’s. Sitting in my beach chair in the parking lot of Livermore Road in Waterville Valley, I spoke with other hikers and listened to a CD while happily waiting for Nancy H.

As always Nancy arrived on schedule, and with Ghostdog, we started out at 10:05 am, on Friday, August 2, 2002. The Livermore Road is well graded, superbly maintained, and is a generous twelve feet in width. It has tractor trailer signs allowing two through six axles, even 53’ 18-wheelers, to drive across the massively rugged creosol bridges having a maximum carrying capacity of 23 tons. No vehicles use this road daily. It patiently waits!

Walking on the Livermore Road during the first 2.3 miles, in the middle of the serene forest, lulled us into becoming unaware of the surroundings. Suddenly, ten lunatic mountain bikers, who were unconcerned that the silence of their speeding bikes would slam into unwary hikers, charged us at a blind corner. The last rider was the closest call, making us jump to the side, and thankfully was the final close encounter of the speeding bicycle kind.

Since it was not raining or too wet, we opted for the more difficult North Slide Trail, deciding not to use the longer, but less steep 1.2-mile Scaur Trail. I was concerned that lighting would strike, as we were on bare ledge. I mentioned to Nancy, ”If you see my hair standing straight up and my body with a blue halo – get away quickly!”

This is one of the most challenging of all hikes in the Whites. The A.M.C. lists this as one of the top ten most difficult climbs. The North Slide Trail is at times 45-60 degree angles over bare ledge, an enjoyable ascent needing good climbing skills and good physical conditioning. It is also one serious thigh-burning climb requiring your arm muscles to pull you up. Yes, for two unrelenting hours!

On more than one occasion we broke our grip and became aware of the danger of falling. Nancy said at times she looked back down the North Slide Trail and saw it disappear like looking over a cliff. Ghostdog never seems to mind and makes it seem like we are hiking too slow. Our first two red and orange leaves of the autumn season were discovered, once up, and on the return route. It sure was a jolly good old time!

We arrived at the North Summit (4180’) bushwhacking it on a narrow deer (trail) run. Meeting two hikers and their dog, they set us on the very nice ridge walk to Middle Tripyramid (4140’). Eating lunch and trail mix with great views to the West, North, and the East, we talked to (rather that is I talked to, as any who have hiked with us know!) 17 people. The age group seems to be getting younger as a family of six had an 8 year old boy doing four mountains all in one day!

On to South Tripyramid (4100’), over the steep loose scree, and the long, almost 2 hour, difficult climb down. We were glad to have chosen going up North Slide and returning down the South Slide. This is much easier, safer, and more sheltered in case of a thunderstorm.

Warm, generous conversation passed the time so easily. Before we knew it, seven hours and fifteen minutes had passed. Returning to the parking lot at 5:20 PM, we shook hands and thanked each other for another great hike.

These three summits raise the total to 44 mountains for Ghostdog and 414 for this writer. Nancy has hiked Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and won’t admit to how many others she has biked and hiked, just in Africa!

Climbing does not seem to be getting any easier, even with 19 years of experience. It always gets to be more fun!

Bag some summits, get some views, gain expertise, and join us for a trip to the top!
-------------------
"A word to the wise isn't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." ---Bill Cosby