• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Missing Hiker Found

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
From the Boston Globe:
Missing Massachusetts hiker rescued in White Mountains
April 12, 2005
CONCORD, N.H. -- A hiker from Massachusetts was found Tuesday in the Crawford Notch area of the White Mountains, state Fish and Game officials said.

John Jackson, 32, of Carlisle, Mass., was tired and cold but otherwise unharmed, officials said. He was reported missing on Monday night when he failed to return as expected from a two-day hike he began on Sunday.

Fish and Game officers searched overnight and into the morning. Late-season snow squalls hampered the search, officials said.

They said Jackson had spoken with his brother by phone Sunday.

"We're thankful that we succeeded in finding him," said Capt. Martin Garabedian of Fish and Game. "It's not advisable to hike alone, but Jackson was smart to let someone know when and where he was planning to hike and when he was expected home."

C

Caleb

Wow. A very quick response indeed. For him to have been found Monday night he must have been presumed lost IMMEDIATELY after his no-show.

Just for comparison, here's the response I got from the FS Greenie at Lincoln Woods when I emerged a 1/2 day late and half-alive from the Pemi back in February: "Glad to see you son, now please move your car so we can plow the parking lot". :D

(i'm becoming emoticon literate)

Mike P.

Thanks Mike, goes to show that keeping people posted of your where abouts & setting a smart time for when to call pays off.

(Don't tell people late at night to call because in most cases they go out in the daylight.)

In summer when the likely worst thing to happen to a lost & conscious hiker is a cool night in the woods, I tell my wife to call if I'm many hours overdue, in winter only a few. (more likely in Summer to climb one peak & see the next one on the ridge & keep going) :D