• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thank god for the little things

2knees

Fema just recently re mapped the flood zones for my town. I've been crapping my pants thinking i was gonna be included in the new flood zone which would then require flood insurance. The new map skirts down the street behind me and doesnt include my house. :beer:

hammer

Fema just recently re mapped the flood zones for my town. I've been crapping my pants thinking i was gonna be included in the new flood zone which would then require flood insurance. The new map skirts down the street behind me and doesnt include my house. :beer:
Do you feel like you would ever need it?

My driveway slopes up to the basement-level garage of my house...if there was enough rain to flood me out I'd be building an ark...

Moe Ghoul

Cool, make sure they send a memo to the next flood about skirting down the street behind you. :razz:

2knees

Do you feel like you would ever need it?

nope nor would i think most of the people included in the new zones would ever need it. From what i can tell, if some of these people get flooded out by the river, we're ALL f*(ked. It would take an epic amount of water to hit some of the areas. Apparently people are going to our town offices in complete rage but the reality is they cant do a thing about it. If the town doesnt go along with these new zones, then we are ineligible for any federal disaster funding or whatever the actual program is called.

ComeBackMudPuddles

excuse my ignorance, but how does that work? because of a FEMA-drawn line, you might have HAD to get insurance? wouldn't it still have been up to you?

dmc

We live right next to the creek... We pay... Couldn't get a mortgage without it..

Most of the village of Hunter is in a flood plain...

2knees

excuse my ignorance, but how does that work? because of a FEMA-drawn line, you might have HAD to get insurance? wouldn't it still have been up to you?

Basically, i would be in default on my mortgage agreement or something along those lines without the flood insurance. had i been in the new flood zone.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Basically, i would be in default on my mortgage agreement or something along those lines without the flood insurance. had i been in the new flood zone.

aaaah, ok, thanks for the explanation. (i obviously don't own a house.)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I gotta do everything. Wifey likes to be insulated from reality, lol.

Same here.....nah, we're both pretty equally involved, though as the bread winner I tend to make the big financial decisions.....not that she's incapable, she'd rather leave it up to me.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Thats good news Pat, but flood insurance is cheap.

dmc

lol, that tells you what i know. Some of the people i was talking to were making it sound like a major cost.

i guess that all depends on how much $ they have...

bvibert

Staff member
Good news Pat. That mean you can stop worrying about it now.... And go for a bike ride?? ;)

2knees

I saw Tim at lunch and told him to keep me posted about sunday.