• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A new ski for me?

skidmarks

Nordica Speedmachine...

Speedmachine is a fine boot. I would just be aware of the forward stance that your boot is set in.
Like we were talking about, lots of boots have more forward lean than is needed. A few quick fixes can get you balanced if you're not.

Those twins you got will be big fun in the trees and bumps.

Newpylong

I hope so.. was a little weary of the twins but since reading some reviews and talking to a few people they seem like a real nice ski.

Apparently there's a few performance orientated boots with wider lasts, but yes he indicated that my selections would be slim. Thanks for the input though.

Sorry for the hijack.

Tecnica Mega is 105, Vento HVL is 106, Head has a mid entry that's 106...the iType and their new Peak...a three buckle boot. All of them are pretty roomy everywhere, not just across the ball of the foot and their a few models down the line in performance. So, what I'm saying is rather than find a boot wide enough to fit your forefoot right off the shelf, find a boot that fits everywhere else and then stretch/grind for the room you need at the widest part of your foot. Either way, off the shelf you're going to have to sacrifice something initially...comfort or performance...but its 10x easier for a good bootfitter to modify the boot for the comfort you need than it is to increase the performance level....we can't change the composition of the plastics, but we can make it roomier. Skidmarks sounds like he knows his stuff and he's in CT...so go spend some time with him and see what he can do for you...it'll be worth your trip. I have no doubt that I'd be able to make your foot happy in a performance boot and from what I've read from Skid, I'm sure he could too.

bvibert

Staff member
Tecnica Mega is 105, Vento HVL is 106, Head has a mid entry that's 106...the iType and their new Peak...a three buckle boot. All of them are pretty roomy everywhere, not just across the ball of the foot and their a few models down the line in performance. So, what I'm saying is rather than find a boot wide enough to fit your forefoot right off the shelf, find a boot that fits everywhere else and then stretch/grind for the room you need at the widest part of your foot. Either way, off the shelf you're going to have to sacrifice something initially...comfort or performance...but its 10x easier for a good bootfitter to modify the boot for the comfort you need than it is to increase the performance level....we can't change the composition of the plastics, but we can make it roomier. Skidmarks sounds like he knows his stuff and he's in CT...so go spend some time with him and see what he can do for you...it'll be worth your trip. I have no doubt that I'd be able to make your foot happy in a performance boot and from what I've read from Skid, I'm sure he could too.

The bootfitter I've spoken to come highly recommended and I trust his opinion based on those recommendations and watching him work with my wife. The Vento HVL is one of the boots he mentioned (and carries), even at 106 he figured he'd have some stretching and/or grinding to do to fit my foot.

Thanks for all your help and recommendations.

bvibert

Staff member
:-o sounds more like a flipper than a foot! :razz: I've fit a bunch of HVLs in the past...handy boot to have in stock and the 95 will ski well.

Can we see a picture of this foot? Please!

It's really not that freakish, just really wide across the ball area. The HVLs have a bit too much volume over-all. I tried on a pair of Lange Fluid 100s that actually fit pretty well, except for being tight up front. I tried on a few other different boots, one Nordica seemed to fit ok, but felt like it might be too flexy under my weight (80-90 on their scale, my current boot is a Nordica Beast with like 100-110 flex or something). The boots with stiffer flex in that line were narrower and I could barely get my foot in it. I understand that having some flex is good, especially if you're doing bumps like I aspire to do, but the boot was like deforming under my weight.

Skimarks, I'll be coming into the shop at some point to see what you have to offer.

ERJ-145CA

I just copied this from a previous post that I made on a different thread:

I bought Fischer Watea 78's last year. I think they are great all mountain skis, easy to ski from hardpack to crud and they're fast too. I think last year was the first year they were made but maybe there may be some of last years version around for cheaper. They changed the graphics for this year. I ordered them last summer from ski-depot.com and had no problems, I received them promptly. This link is for last years model:

http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=722987FWATEA7808

skidmarks

I just copied this from a previous post that I made on a different thread:

I bought Fischer Watea 78's last year. I think they are great all mountain skis, easy to ski from hardpack to crud and they're fast too. I think last year was the first year they were made but maybe there may be some of last years version around for cheaper. They changed the graphics for this year. I ordered them last summer from ski-depot.com and had no problems, I received them promptly. This link is for last years model:

http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=722987FWATEA7808

You can get a pair of this year's with railflex binding for $699.00