• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tyler Mill RAW - 9/22

Grassi21

Ooof. I had a Dukes of Hazard lookin' dude in a big pick-up staring at me on the way out. Then I passed a nerdy looking fellow in a subcompact almost waving to me. See those two Grassi? Cripes. Creepy meter was pegged. :blink: Just a culture I've never been exposed to before.

i saw them both. the guy in the pick up was there during our last ride with miggs as well.

Grassi21

When Steve and I were riding around there our first time there looking for the trails it did seem kinda odd that all these dudes were sitting in their cars. We actually asked the guy by the bridge in the grey Ford truck reading the newspaper on the hood(was there the other night we rode too) for some trail recommendations.

Looks like if you are gonna ride out of that lot you better plan it as a group ride.

that guy in the pick up reading the paper must be a regular. that is one of the guys i was talking about.

o3jeff

Looks like you guys had fun on you Broke Back ride. Gary, hope they can fix the bike quick for you this time and hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

gmcunni

Gary, hope they can fix the bike quick for you this time and hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

Gary - sorry about the derailleur. Sucks when they break. :( Hope you get your bike fixed up soon!

Thanks.. my wife gave me a funny look and said something like "for spending so much on a new bike it sure does break a lot."

Greg, i think you were right, i think it was that poorly executed attempt to get over that big log that started my issues. i began noticing a lot of noise from the rear derailleur after that. i figured it was another adjustment but in retrospect probably the bent equipment not allowing the chain to line up correctly.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks.. my wife gave me a funny look and said something like "for spending so much on a new bike it sure does break a lot."

:lol: You're riding pretty legit terrain. That spot where it finally failed was sorta techy.

Greg, i think you were right, i think it was that poorly executed attempt to get over that big log that started my issues. i began noticing a lot of noise from the rear derailleur after that. i figured it was another adjustment but in retrospect probably the bent equipment not allowing the chain to line up correctly.

Thinking back, I think you railed that rock with the left side of your frame, but you may have whacked that derailleur side too. Probably weakened the hanger at least. That cage was pretty mangled, so I'm not sure it would have been rideable had it bent like that when you first whacked it. You did mention that you didn't recall hitting anything when the hanger finally broke though, right?

gmcunni

You did mention that you didn't recall hitting anything when the hanger finally broke though, right?

correct, we were going up that slight hill. a little rocky but nothing serious. at first i thought i simply got a stick caught up. i hopped off to clear the stick and found the derailleur just hanging there. i wasn't even pedaling hard at that point.

Greg

Staff member
correct, we were going up that slight hill. a little rocky but nothing serious. at first i thought i simply got a stick caught up. i hopped off to clear the stick and found the derailleur just hanging there. i wasn't even pedaling hard at that point.

Hmm. Must've been when the hanger finally gave way. Neither here nor there at this point, I guess. Good luck getting it fixed quickly.