• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have to love that DOW today.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I'm more likely to picture a day when I find out the hundreds of thousands I've put in over my entire working career is gone... or I'm deemed unworthy of geting it back since I had already saved extra on the side in a real retirement plan, while illegals and layabouts get 100% coverage through their retirement years.

And they say Communism is dead.

-Stephen

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Re: DOW drops!

tirolerpeter said:
Picture yourself some day in the future "annuitizing" your "Bush Private ("Personal"..whatever he wants to call it) Retirement Account" on a day after the DOW jumps out of a window. You might just feel like following it down!

Luckily, after the mini-crash of 87', the NYSE has installed a safety system in that after the DOW goes down a certain, can't remember the numbers, amount the DOW automatically shuts down.

If Bush does get his plan passed he says everyone will get a choice whether to join or not so I don't pay much attention to it.

tirolerpeter

Stephen said:
I'm more likely to picture a day when I find out the hundreds of thousands I've put in over my entire working career is gone... or I'm deemed unworthy of geting it back since I had already saved extra on the side in a real retirement plan, while illegals and layabouts get 100% coverage through their retirement years.

And they say Communism is dead.

-Stephen

What are you talking about? Illegals get FICA deducted from their pay and virtually never collect. It is estimated that illegals contributed about $10 Billion in taxes last year that will go toward paying you benefits one day. They either end up back in their home countries, or die long before they can collect. I don't know who the "layabouts" are, maybe you could enlighten us. Besides, what is "100% coverage?"

There is also this preoccupation that people have about "retirement" benefits. Social Security provides so much more then that. Millions of families (especially children) would be destitute were it not for survivor benefits and disability benefits. Find out about the system before you sound off about it.

"Communism" ?? get real!

ctenidae

I'm predicting relatively flat today. Yesterday saw a bunch of profit taking (and good time for it, too) Today will be the remainder, and people digesting the economic data released yesterday and Wednesday.
Several analysts saying there's a technical point at 1163 for the S&P- if it goes over that, the market may zoom. I'm not a big fan of technical analysis, but it'll be interesting to see if they're right on this one- S&P just needs 4 points after yesterday. We'll see...

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
ctenidae said:
American Skiing Co (formerly SKI, until the NYSE delisted it- ouch)(AESK) -traded OTC BB: $0.37
Intrawest (IDR) traded NYSE: $20.28
Vail Ski Resorts (MTN) NYSE: $24.58

You'd really have to throw some equipment companies in there, since they're the only ones who make any money. Just not, it seems, with their ski equipment....

I did start a fantasy fund called Powder 2 Fund with Intrawest and Vail making up the holdings. Just haven't had the time to expand it. I started it on May 1 and as of a few minutes ago Intrawest is up 18.98% and Vail is up 13.18%. Should have done it for real :lol:

ctenidae

Yeah, I don't quite get it, myself. Vail seems way, way over priced (P/E at 45 is bad enough, especially since there earnings dropped $1.65 or so earlier this month.). Intrawest is a little more reasonable, and may actually be underpriced.
Both may be a decent technical trade, as a tactical play, but I wouldn't consider them for a long-term portfolio.