• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have to love that DOW today.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Don't think of it as a big loss, think of it as a buying opportunity.... :lol:

Be glad you don't own Apple...earnings report blew away street expectations by 70% and still the stock went down yesterday 8%.

Last week ASC was 26 cents, yesterday it was 35 cents, that's up 35%, that's where our money should have been.. :lol:

ctenidae

The market is full of buying opportunities, n doubt. Just not today. With the refinery fire in Iraq, I bet we see oil jump a buck, and another goos-sized loss on the Dow. Panic sales, I'm thinking. Buy late today or tommorow. Interesting teh analyst's take on AIG- buy now, see a 150% return in 2-3 years.

J

Jaime86

ctenidae said:
With the refinery fire in Iraq, I bet we see oil jump a buck,

If the price of oil goes up again...therefore gas going up again...I am going to hunt you down for jinxing it...J/K

ctenidae

Gas prices will go up. Universal truth, there. I'll be hiding somewhere in the windfarm if you need me, Jaime86.

;)

J

Jaime86

lol...see you there...and you better have some kind of protection...because I hunt to atleast penetrate, ctenidae! :p

J

Jaime86

Gas here right now is actually the lowest it's been in TOO LONG! It's running on average about $2.17 around town...how's it doing in your neck of the woods?

ctenidae

Just looked at the early market- crude futures are down at $49.96, which is good, and OPEC says it will release anoter 1/2 million barrels a day in May- unofficialy. Still, not going to see $40/bbl, and I'm still holding to the no drop in gas prices prediction, even though May gasoline futures are down 1.4% in early trading.

ski_resort_observer

Website
ctenidae said:
Interesting teh analyst's take on AIG- buy now, see a 150% return in 2-3 years.

The AIG thing is still in process and depending on the outcome it could keep going down before it goes up. I would wait until everything washes out before you jump in. BTW this is ski related in that AIG owns Stowe... :D

A couple of years ago UnumProvident, nations largest disability insurer, was featured on 60 Minutes, exposing the way they screw people out of their their rightful benefits. They have a large office in Maine(2000 empoyees) so I knew thy were in good shape financially. The next day the stock went down 40%, I jumped in, ran away 2 months later doubling my money. Could work again.

ctenidae

Yeah, I'd give AIG another month or two, at least until someone else downgrades their credit, then buy as much as you can. They're not going to go broke, that's for sure.
Nice call on the UnumProvident, SRO. longer turn around for AIG, I think, but same idea, absolutely.

ski_resort_observer

Website
Powder 4 Fund

I have had this fantasy about starting a mutual fund made up of the big ski resort companies. Heck, there are mutual funds representing practically every political, even environmental persuasion you could think of.

I would call it the Powder 4 Fund. Course, the direction of the investing would be shorting the stocks that make up the fund.... :lol:

ctenidae

American Skiing Co (formerly SKI, until the NYSE delisted it- ouch)(AESK) -traded OTC BB: $0.37
Intrawest (IDR) traded NYSE: $20.28
Vail Ski Resorts (MTN) NYSE: $24.58

You'd really have to throw some equipment companies in there, since they're the only ones who make any money. Just not, it seems, with their ski equipment....

ski_resort_observer

Website
Since I would be shorting the stocks I don't want any company that makes any money. Which in this micro sector is easy to do. lol

Old saying "there is always a bull market somewhere".

As I mentioned in another post ASC was .26 a couple of weeks ago then a week later it was .36, if your investing long or short you can make money with this stock. Who has the guts to try...not me.

I have been following this stock from day one..I was an ASC employee when it went public and have seen more buying and selling opportunites pass by than snowflakes on the trails. It is pretty illogical that you can make money off a company that has never shown a profit but there is nothing logical about the stock market.

You make a good point...diversification is important.

ctenidae

You'd have to have cajones bigger than your check book to short ASC (well, AESK, now), since today's volume was a whopping 800 shares. First you'd have to find someone willing to buy the stock from you, then you'd have to get some quickly if it ever got called in, which might not actually be all that hard. Shorting BB stocks- that's a technique I don't think many people are using.
You want to start a fund shorting things, SRO, you're going to need a hedge fund. I bet we could get one set up, somehow. All of you guys are "Qualified Investors*", right?
.26 to .36 isn't a bad jump, considering, but only if you could get someone to take it off your hands. Like I said, 800 whole shares traded today. And you'd get killed on the cap gains tax. But you're right, there is very little logic (what there is is rather convoluted), and you can make money in a down market just as well as an up market. Dog shiat or roses, makes no difference.

*"Qualified Investors" are either proffesional investors, or have $1MM in investible assets, though we may be able to get around that with a 3(c)1, but then it's first-come, first-serve, since we could only take 100. It gets complicated after that....

ski_resort_observer

Website
There was a day about a month ago or so that there were zero trades on AESK. A glacier is more active.

03/07/05 32,400 0.390 0.370 0.370
03/08/05 74,000 0.390 0.360 0.380
03/09/05 26,600 0.400 0.380 0.400
03/10/05 9,850 0.420 0.380 0.420
03/11/05 0 0.420 0.420 0.420
03/14/05 1,250 0.420 0.400 0.420
03/15/05 5,425 0.420 0.400 0.40

I am a simple man....I am talking about a fantasy fund...I already have a hedge fund in there, HSGFX. Sure, in the real world it wouldn't work but it's just for the fund of it. :lol:

tirolerpeter

DOW drops!

Picture yourself some day in the future "annuitizing" your "Bush Private ("Personal"..whatever he wants to call it) Retirement Account" on a day after the DOW jumps out of a window. You might just feel like following it down!