What type of MTB pedals? Why?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

What type of MTB pedals? Why?

What type of pedals are you running? Clipless, platforms or maybe even toe clips? Why?

Clipless here. I'm still probably 80%+ XC with some small all mountain riding here and there. I still feel clipless give you better pedaling efficiency. I also like being "one" with the bike when bunny hopping or taking small drops. I can see how platforms help with the confidence, but I'm slowly becoming bolder with the clipless as my skills are improving. Most of any "trapped" feeling you might have is really just in your head.

You?
    I ski double black diamonds.

platform. but during our last ride i was really starting to think about clipless, i kept slipping off the pedals at worst possible time and was getting frustrated. i'll keep platforms the rest of this season and see how things are in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    platform. but during our last ride i was really starting to think about clipless, i kept slipping off the pedals at worst possible time and was getting frustrated. i'll keep platforms the rest of this season and see how things are in the spring.
    The platform pushers are going to tell you to get some shoes with more tacky soles. As I understand it, skate shoes are pretty good, but I would prefer something with a bit more foot protection.

As you know I am a recent convert to platform pedals after riding clipless for almost 10 years. I like the freedom and confidence the platform pedals give me. And you right about the shoes, you need shoes with a tacky rubber sole like skate shoes. But there are some MTB shoes for platfom pedals.

My skate shoes stick to my pedals like velcro.

I ride with Crank Brothers. Started out with SPDs and they were nice but too much to maintain and awful in snow and mud. CBs are really easy to maintain, work great in all conditions, nothing beats their platform clipless - best of both worlds if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The platform pushers are going to tell you to get some shoes with more tacky soles. As I understand it, skate shoes are pretty good, but I would prefer something with a bit more foot protection.
    Do clipless shoes have more protection? If anything they will have even harder soles than skate shoes and offer less protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremf View Post
    I ride with Crank Brothers. Started out with SPDs and they were nice but too much to maintain and awful in snow and mud. CBs are really easy to maintain, work great in all conditions, nothing beats their platform clipless - best of both worlds if you ask me.
    Agreed on the CB's. I rode SPD's for years and switched the CB Acids for the first half of this year before I switched to plarforms. I found them much better than SPD's. The extra float in the CB's also helped clear up knee pain I was having from riding.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Do clipless shoes have more protection? If anything they will have even harder soles than skate shoes and offer less protection.
    I'm talking more about around the foot than the sole. Skate shoes seem to be pretty thin canvas, but maybe I'm wrong there.

platforms here. i feel the same as gmcunni. sick of slipping off the platforms at the wrong time. the gash i received on our last ride got me thinking about switching again.

any thoughts or experience with the dual pedals (platform on one side clipless on the other)? the lbs has a set by shimano for 68 bucks.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

661 BMX shoes are pretty sturdy from what I have read.

Agreed on the CB's. I rode SPD's for years and switched the CB Acids for the first half of this year before I switched to plarforms. I found them much better than SPD's. The extra float in the CB's also helped clear up knee pain I was having from riding.
    I was using acids on my rigid SS and they rocked. I have the CB Platform clipless on my fully and every time I clip in, I feel much more secure and the nice thing is I can unclip for a skinny or a roller and still have a lot of surface area for control. Not sure if there is anything out there that is similar.

Thread Information