• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What type of MTB pedals? Why?

gorgonzola

mostly clipless - shimano 545's, good all round pedal - no issues.
I also have a set of basic wellgo platfroms that i keep on the hardtail for family rides, nuttin around etc.. once in a while i throw em on the trail bike but always go back to the clipless - feel more confident for techinical riding, can flick the bike aroud easier and better control for logovers, rock gardens etc. although some times make me think twice about skinnys especialy climbers

RENO

Toe clips. I always felt really comfortable with this arrangement. Keep them loose so getting out is never a problem. Getting in under some schetchy conditions is a different story, but I accpet the trade off.
I have a clipless system on my road bike - Speedplay's frogs. My knees really need to big float.

I doubt that I'll ever go clipless on the MTB, but I was thinking about switching to those power strips that fit diagonally across your pedal. They look super easy to get into even under stress and probably hav ethe same pulling power as toe clips.

Does anyone have any experience with those?
I've used the Power Grips. Didn't like them either. You're better off with the Clipless. You put your foot in at a slight angle with your toes into the bike and then twist your heels into the bike to lock in. Reverse it to get out. After the strap gets beat up and stretches a bit your foot slips out more often. I only used them for 2-3 weeks and took them off. Then I got the Wellgo platform pedals I've had for a couple years now. You also have to have a specific type of pedal to connect them too or buy theirs. I had a pedal that was exactly like theirs so I just got the straps. You're better off with the toe clips if you're used to them. Easier to get out of those...
http://www.powergrips.com/

Greg

Staff member
I threw the platforms on the bike this weekend and tooled around the neighborhood and rode about 90 seconds on some singletrack, and didn't like it. I felt like I was bouncing off the pedals here and there, probably just unweighting more than coming off, but still a weird feeling. Clipless went back on the bike and I think I'll stick with that for now.

bvibert

Staff member
Toe clips. I always felt really comfortable with this arrangement. Keep them loose so getting out is never a problem. Getting in under some schetchy conditions is a different story, but I accpet the trade off.
I have a clipless system on my road bike - Speedplay's frogs. My knees really need to big float.

I doubt that I'll ever go clipless on the MTB, but I was thinking about switching to those power strips that fit diagonally across your pedal. They look super easy to get into even under stress and probably hav ethe same pulling power as toe clips.

Does anyone have any experience with those?

I'm curious why you wouldn't want to give clipless a try on your MTB, especially if you're used to them on your road bike? I couldn't imagine fiddling around with toe clips on the trail when clipless is so easy.

MR. evil

I threw the platforms on the bike this weekend and tooled around the neighborhood and rode about 90 seconds on some singletrack, and didn't like it. I felt like I was bouncing off the pedals here and there, probably just unweighting more than coming off, but still a weird feeling. Clipless went back on the bike and I think I'll stick with that for now.

While I like platforms for reasons stated in previous responces, I realized this past week that I have become a much smoother rider since switching from clipless to platforms. In the next month or so I am going to throw the clipless on for a ride at Nass to see how I do.

Bumpsis

I'm curious why you wouldn't want to give clipless a try on your MTB, especially if you're used to them on your road bike? I couldn't imagine fiddling around with toe clips on the trail when clipless is so easy.

I suppose that the main reason is that my knees really need big float. That means about 20 some degrees or so. The Speedplay frogs give me that. But having that much float also means (at least for my reflexes) that the exit out of those pedals is just a bit more delayed than with pedal/cleat system that operates on a 5-8 degree twist of the foot to relase.

Result: I have gone down with the bike while still clipped a few times - not much fun when in a schetchy situation. I like those Speedplays on my road bike where there are fewer opportunities to go horizontal and more time to react.

So, toe clips that I'm very comfy with, give me the best of both worlds, pulling power and quick release.
Another reason, I prefer to have shoe that doesn't have any metal hardware attached to its sole. I like to explore diffrent trails and often find myslef on trails that require getting off the bike and pushing. I'd rather be in shoes that good walking felx to it.

Bumpsis

I've used the Power Grips. Didn't like them either. You're better off with the Clipless. You put your foot in at a slight angle with your toes into the bike and then twist your heels into the bike to lock in. Reverse it to get out. After the strap gets beat up and stretches a bit your foot slips out more often. I only used them for 2-3 weeks and took them off. Then I got the Wellgo platform pedals I've had for a couple years now. You also have to have a specific type of pedal to connect them too or buy theirs. I had a pedal that was exactly like theirs so I just got the straps. You're better off with the toe clips if you're used to them. Easier to get out of those...
http://www.powergrips.com/

Thanks for the feedback. I though there must be a reason why these are not all that popular. I think I'll stick to my clips.

MR. evil

Sounds like Wellgo is the way to go for flats, any other I should consider?

Looking to switch to the dark side?

I really like my Wellgo MG-1's, just make sure you get some flat soled grippy shoes. The FiveTen impact shoes get great reviews and will be what I get next. Any skate board sneaker with a flat tacky sole will also do the trick. The shate shoes I wear now I got from Walmart for $15. The are just about dead, but have lasted me a year. Not too shabby for $15. I went cheap for the first pair of shoes because I didn't know if I would stick with the platforms. But I love the platforms and will get a more expensive pair of 5/10's soon.

bvibert

Staff member
I just picked up some sweet skate shoes on Brociety to use with platforms, what do you guys think??

DARCOFFU.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
I'll lend you my platforms if you want to try them. Shoes that sweet you must of kicked in the extra $$ for overnight shipping.

I ponied up for same day shipping, they should be waiting for me when I get home.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Looking to switch to the dark side?

I really like my Wellgo MG-1's, just make sure you get some flat soled grippy shoes. The FiveTen impact shoes get great reviews and will be what I get next. Any skate board sneaker with a flat tacky sole will also do the trick. The shate shoes I wear now I got from Walmart for $15. The are just about dead, but have lasted me a year. Not too shabby for $15. I went cheap for the first pair of shoes because I didn't know if I would stick with the platforms. But I love the platforms and will get a more expensive pair of 5/10's soon.

Doesn't it suck to get off and push on a steep slick hill or log or something wearing skate shoes?

I like that my clipless shoes have good tread and lugs.

I ride Shimano M540's, btw.

MR. evil

Doesn't it suck to get off and push on a steep slick hill or log or something wearing skate shoes?

I like that my clipless shoes have good tread and lugs.

I ride Shimano M540's, btw.

I am now wearing FiveTen Impact shoes which are much better than my old skate shoes.

However, my clipless shoes are made specifically for MTB and also have big lugs on them for traction. That still doesn’t change the fact that there is a big metal cleat right on the ball of your foot where most of your weight gets distributed when you walk. My cheap old skate shoes had much better traction in all conditions than my clipless shoes. When riding with others and we had to hike something, even with my old skate shoes I always had a much easier time than those wearing any sort of clipless shoe.

The FiveTen’s are on a completely other level of traction. The company started making rock climbing shoes. They applied the grippy rubber used on their rock climbing shoes to MTB shoes.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Maybe on slick rock, but I have a hard time seeing flat sole skate shoes being better than clipless MTB shoes through soft dirt or up a short, greasy banking or through mud or the like. Or on a slipperly log or bridge.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't think I could ever ride without clipping in at this point. Even if I had some fine looking pink, brown, green and yellow 3/4 hi-top skate shoes with powder blue piping, like Brians. :wink::p:cool::grin:

I wish they made those in a clipless shoe, then I'd really be happy...