• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What type of MTB pedals? Why?

umby

There is also a reason that the vast majority of roadies (that ride regularly) use clipless. These reasons do not dissappear when riding over dirt and rocks instead of asphalt.

Yes, clipless can be used as a crutch. I don't disagree new riders should start on platforms, and should learn certain skills on platforms. I started on platforms years back. I don't doubt your experience, you sound as though you have much more than me. It sounds like it makes your opinions one sided and heavy handed, though. Or it could just be your personality.

I just want everyone reading this thread to know that your statement:

is categorically and demonstrably false.

You can "deem" anything you want. Some people will ride better and have more fun on flats, some will ride better and have more fun on clipless. It will change from person to person, trail to trail, etc. ad naseum. Both are versatile enough to be used for a wide range of riding.

So please stop the condescending tone... just because one rides clipless does not mean one has not learned to ride one's bike "correctly."

And you don't have to say "clipless are usefull in certain situations" only so you don't sound like HS, you can say it because it's truthful.

for TECHNICAL trails flats are best... you have yet to provide a real argument that proves other wise. I completely agree that for normal flat/hilly not so technical sections of trails clipless are probably better. Back when I was a teenager and competed in trials competitions some hot head XC guy and DH guy with expensive full susension bikes and clipless pedals would always say "oh we can roll down that" or "ride over that" and for entertainment value we would say go for it. This was in the middle of a competition. Each time they went head over heals or washed out and could not click out in time. Had they had flats they could have jumped off, thrown a leg out, and many other things to maintain balance and stay on their bike or take a spill much safer. Only at the 2001 Worlds did someone not say something like that to me (and I attribute that to the fact that the sections were straight up scary for even a trials rider).

That is my opinion, sorry if I am stating it in a manner that makes one think I intend it as fact.

umby

And just in case we've missed the virtues of riding clipless since you've posted all the reasons you ride flats, here's why I prefer clipless:

-allows the use of stiff soled shoes which means higher efficiency, the ability to ride longer, faster, get less tired and make fewer mistakes
-the pedalling itself is far more effecient, see above for benefits of efficiency (especially useful for climbing, and other sustained efforts)
-sometimes getting off the bike and humping it up a hill is unavoidable- I find the low traction situations in which this occurs often calls for the treaded/lugged sole of a clipless shoe rather than flat, soft soled skate shoes (made for gripping skate boards, not mud/dirt), same goes for slippery bridges, boards, log crossings, etc.
-clipless will hold your foot to the pedal better if you've ridden long enough to get very tired and will prevent some painful mistakes... although being extremely tired really should be the only excuse for using the pedal like this, and everyone's ability suffers when tired, whether you're you, me, Lance Armstrong, Hans Rey, etc.
-once you find the optimal cleat position for producing maximum power, best anatomical motion, you know your foot is always in that position as long as you're clipped in

There are probably more. I'll post them if I think of them.

none of those reasons are applicable to my statement... TECHNICAL new england trails. I am talking rocks and logs. I have never had any trouble getting up a hill in skate shoes when pushing my bike. Then again the surfaces that I generally think of not being rideable require careful foot placement on rocks... I am not saying flats are best for speed, endurance, transfer of power, or anything else other than super technical riding. Sorry if my wording has been confusing...

Hans Rey - I used to idolize him when I first started riding. I hope to ride half as well as he does at his age.

Greg

Staff member
for TECHNICAL trails flats are best... you have yet to provide a real argument that proves other wise.

How's this for an argument - Whatever pedal results in the most enjoyable experience for the rider is best.

bvibert

Staff member
for TECHNICAL trails flats are best...<snip> Back when I was a teenager and competed in trials competitions <snip>

Technical terrain does not necessarily equal trials type riding, IMHO. If you're riding terrain where you need to stop and bounce around on your back wheel to readjust your line then you're probably riding stuff that most people don't ride, or they take a more simplistic approach and blast over whatever is in the way. Trials type stuff goes beyond your typical technical terrain riding. I don't disagree that for trials platforms would be preferred by most (I've seen people do it with clipless though). For anything where you're moving at a pace faster than a snail it comes down to personal preference.

I've fallen exactly one time from not being able to get out of my pedals fast enough.

That is my opinion, sorry if I am stating it in a manner that makes one think I intend it as fact.

When you make statements like "for TECHNICAL trails flats are best.." it doesn't come across as your opinion...

umby

How's this for an argument - Whatever pedal results in the most enjoyable experience for the rider is best.

No, you have to conform to what I think is right.

Joking... but seriously you are right on the money.

umby

Technical terrain does not necessarily equal trials type riding, IMHO. If you're riding terrain where you need to stop and bounce around on your back wheel to readjust your line then you're probably riding stuff that most people don't ride, or they take a more simplistic approach and blast over whatever is in the way. Trials type stuff goes beyond your typical technical terrain riding. I don't disagree that for trials platforms would be preferred by most (I've seen people do it with clipless though). For anything where you're moving at a pace faster than a snail it comes down to personal preference.

I've fallen exactly one time from not being able to get out of my pedals fast enough.

When you make statements like "for TECHNICAL trails flats are best.." it doesn't come across as your opinion...

Fair enough... the people that I usually ride with don't go for the easiest way over stuff because it is not usually the most fun way to ride an obstacle (in my opinion). Most of the stuff does not require any bouncing if you time everything right. Even in pure trials bouncing is generally considered a method to correct a move (hence why it is called a correction hop in trials). When I am on my mountain bike I will occasionally bounce if i am about to fall over, but generally try to ride everything in a fluid motion. In order for ME to obtain the riding style I want to have I need to be able to move around on my pedals in a manner clipless would not allow me to do.

Well back to work so I can get out of here at a decent hour to go riding instead of padding my post count.:lol:

bvibert

Staff member
Fair enough... the people that I usually ride with don't go for the easiest way over stuff because it is not usually the most fun way to ride an obstacle (in my opinion). Most of the stuff does not require any bouncing if you time everything right. Even in pure trials bouncing is generally considered a method to correct a move (hence why it is called a correction hop in trials). When I am on my mountain bike I will occasionally bounce if i am about to fall over, but generally try to ride everything in a fluid motion. In order for ME to obtain the riding style I want to have I need to be able to move around on my pedals in a manner clipless would not allow me to do.

Well back to work so I can get out of here at a decent hour to go riding instead of padding my post count.:lol:

Cool, I learned something new. I thought trials was all about hopping around on your rear tire. Sounds like you must be a pretty good rider, I'd like to go for a ride with you sometime, or at least watch from the side.

umby

Cool, I learned something new. I thought trials was all about hopping around on your rear tire. Sounds like you must be a pretty good rider, I'd like to go for a ride with you sometime, or at least watch from the side.

hahaha so did I when I first started riding trials. However those little hops use a ton of energy and every time your tire leaves the ground you are giving up whatever grip you had on an object.

I used to be a much better rider than I am now, but I can still hold my own. The 9-5 is always getting in the way of the fun stuff.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

You can't steal my argument just because you have "administrator" under your name, and it's in orange.

Wait, what? You can?

Son of a bitch.

I'll let it slide this time, but next time I'll have to have Brian send you to banned camp for a while.

bvibert

Staff member
You can't steal my argument just because you have "administrator" under your name, and it's in orange.

Wait, what? You can?

Son of a bitch.

I'll let it slide this time, but next time I'll have to have Brian send you to banned camp for a while.

No one is stopping you from arguing, go right ahead! :cool:

BTW - I'm pretty sure I tried to ban Greg once before and it created a hole in the space/time continuum that was a real bitch to patch up.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
No one is stopping you from arguing, go right ahead! :cool:

BTW - I'm pretty sure I tried to ban Greg once before and it created a hole in the space/time continuum that was a real bitch to patch up.

No, no, not that he was stealing the argument from me, he was stealing my position :dunce:

i5zv9z.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
No, no, not that he was stealing the argument from me, he was stealing my position :dunce:

i5zv9z.jpg

Gotcha, I guess it sucks to be you for being too slow. Clearly you should have put more priority on posting to AZ.. ;)

FYI - your /0 pic didn't show up for me... :(

umby

I probably know you then. I ride there at least a few times a week. You're not Simon by any chance are you?

nope, not the guy on the goat bike hahaha

I do ride with with the guy on the goat bike a decent amount. When I ride with simon I am on a rigid trials bike... I wish I had a bike like simon's goat bike for lynn however, that thing is sick.