• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Body armor?

skiboarder

Shin and elbow for me. The Northeast is so rocky, I think the elbow guards are great and have helped me to avoid injury.

Greg

Staff member
If you fall alot, I think elbow/forearm pads are well worth it. I never found the knee/shin guard pads took too many hits, and are really hot. If you're not Downhilling, I would skip them. Of course, if you ride flat pedals, I would wear shin pads all the time.

I was wondering how effective knee and shin guards would be using clipless, since that's what I ride. I don't fall a lot, but that's mostly because I'm a wuss and don't push myself as hard as I'd like to, since I'm afraid of hurting myself.

I can't recall ever falling in such a way where shin guards might have helped. I ride clipless as well. I do recall a few times flying forward and jamming my knee into the bars though. Might pick up just knee pads and elbow pads and save the shin guards for the days I ride the platforms, if/when that happens...

gorgonzola

i want to up a set of knee and elbow pads for riding the super D course at blue mountain in a few weeks - any suggestions? i might even use my hockey elbow pads the first time to see if i want to make the investment...how are shin guards to pedal with?

Greg

Staff member
I can't recall ever falling in such a way where shin guards might have helped. I ride clipless as well. I do recall a few times flying forward and jamming my knee into the bars though. Might pick up just knee pads and elbow pads and save the shin guards for the days I ride the platforms, if/when that happens...

I really need to pick up knee guards. Not for protection from falling on the ground, but from smashing them on my bars which I seem to do on a regular basis.

Grassi21

I really need to pick up knee guards. Not for protection from falling on the ground, but from smashing them on my bars which I seem to do on a regular basis.

or for the RAW action at TM....

Greg

Staff member
I do now. :) Season over. Sunday mornings will be tough but I am RAW eligible.

Thank God. :lol: ;)

Up for a quickie RBW tomorrow, sweetie? Might even be down for something close to you as long as I can use your shower (body armor is optional). ;)

bvibert

Staff member
If I find a really good deal on something I might consider it, but for right now I'm pretty happy without armor, I think. The only thing that I seem to be hurting (or nearly hurting) on a somewhat regular basis lately is my boys, and there's no way I'm wearing a cup while mountain biking.

Grassi21

Thank God. :lol: ;)

Up for a quickie RBW tomorrow, sweetie? Might even be down for something close to you as long as I can use your shower (body armor is optional). ;)

Can't do tomorrow. I am def. down for some RBW on the days I work from home. I'm eying next weeks calendar for my first RAW.

bvibert

Staff member
There was a pretty good deal on some knee pads on chainlove today, I was thinking about it, but decided I had more pressing stuff to blow my money on at the moment...

I think if I ever did get some I'd opt for the full shin/knee guards. My shins seem to take on more damage than my knees. I've drawn blood from the same spot a few times this year, and they're currently covered with welts and black and blues. It's still not enough to make me think that I NEED them though.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm gonna buy one of these off of chainlove for my hardcore XC rides...

BK.jpg

Think it'll be overkill?

Greg

Staff member
Go for it Brian. Looks like it could be quite slimming on you. :razz:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If I find a really good deal on something I might consider it, but for right now I'm pretty happy without armor, I think. The only thing that I seem to be hurting (or nearly hurting) on a somewhat regular basis lately is my boys, and there's no way I'm wearing a cup while mountain biking.

:eek:

I want shin guards. It took over 6 months for the shin bruise/welt from my first ride last season to heal. It was incredibly painful when ski season started.

Then again, I haven't managed a single MTB ride yet this season so I guess I have other things to worry about...