• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Body armor?

o3jeff

:eek:

I want shin guards. It took over 6 months for the shin bruise/welt from my first ride last season to heal. It was incredibly painful when ski season started.

Then again, I haven't managed a single MTB ride yet this season so I guess I have other things to worry about...

I thought you got clipless pedals now?

Greg

Staff member
Still considering knee guards for everyday riding. Got a nice scrape on my shin the other day. Wish I was wearing the guards, but the full-on plastic shin guards really are overkill for the kind of riding I usually do.

AdironRider

I rock a full face, knee/shin guards, & elbow/forearm protection. My gloves are also super burly with intense knuckle and palm protection. Havent stepped up to the chest/spine protector but its coming very, very quickly. I ride almost all freeride/downhill trails here on Teton Pass and these pads are completely necessary. 5-10 foot drops, hips, gaps, and 15-30 foot mandatory log rides are the name of the game here. There are also a few small (3-4 foot) mandatory drops. But on a full suspension freeride downhill bike 3 footers are nothing.

Its amazing what a decent bike will allow you to do in such a short period of time. Anyone thinking about going full suspension should stop thinking and just do it.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
I wailed my knee on the bars again today that had me almost writhing in pain for a few minutes. Just ask Brian. :lol: I hit it just right and it radiated through my whole knee. Gotta protect them for bump skiing. Shopping for guards as we speak.

Trev

I have nothing now.. thinking about getting something for the shin area.. I seem to beat them up pretty darn well.. tons of small nicks n scrapes.. not sure if I would go full knee leg things..

Tossed around the idea of elbow pads..

Hell, maybe I'll get a storm trooper outfit.. what the hell.

I dunno.. christ maybe I should get a parachute while I am at it..

Up in the air here, my bad wounds are on the backs of my legs..

Maybe I should invest in clips first.. yea yea.. sounds good.. thanks!