• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any 2008-09 equipment REALLY worth noting?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Seriously, cast aside the marketing.

Is there anything new in equipment world - skis, boards, bindings, boots, helmets worth spending good oxygen/electrons talking about? I don't think there have been any tech breakthroughs in a number of years. But are manufacturers doing anything different that is worth looking at? Any stand-out equipment that is worth putting on a "wish list"?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Maybe no recent tech breakthroughs in the alpine skiing world, but backcountry equipment is jumping by leaps and bounds due to increased demand. This year sees the release of several new boot lines including an entire new product line from BDEL and several new books from Garmont, many of which are mid to heavy beef boots with Dynafit blocks. This may be the one and only time I am considering spending $600+ ticketed retail price for a piece of equipment pending one of these new boots fits.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Kastle in general is worth mentioning. Rebirth with a lot of high praise in the Skiing gear review

wa-loaf

I really would like to try some of the abducted stance boots. Fischer Somas and Nordica Aggressors. The seem like they would be helpful to me, I'm one of those guys who's skis spread out on the lift.

WJenness

I really would like to try some of the abducted stance boots. Fischer Somas and Nordica Aggressors. The seem like they would be helpful to me, I'm one of those guys who's skis spread out on the lift.

??

Fill me in... I'm one of those guys too.

-w

deadheadskier

Staff member
Kastle is worth noting but it does not meet billski's criteria of a significant tech breakthrough.

ahhh....but that was only one part of his criteria

The Kastle's could fit his stand-out equipment wish list criteria.

;)

I could never afford new Kastle's, well any new ski for that matter until the end of the season, but I'd like to check them out. Not that it matters that much, but I particularly dig the minimalist graphics of the ski.

Hawkshot99

??

Fill me in... I'm one of those guys too.

-w

A typical boot your foot needs to be perfectly straight forward in the boot and on the ski to ski straight. Many people when standing flat on the ground have there feet turn slightly outward. Several boot companies have created boots that the sole of the boot is not straight compared to the foot. Meaning that hen you are locked into the skis, the skis are pointed directly forward, but your foot(which has a natural tendency to turn out) is turned outward.

I do not know how well I explained that. I have never actually seen one of these models. Only read about them.

o3jeff

A typical boot your foot needs to be perfectly straight forward in the boot and on the ski to ski straight. Many people when standing flat on the ground have there feet turn slightly outward. Several boot companies have created boots that the sole of the boot is not straight compared to the foot. Meaning that hen you are locked into the skis, the skis are pointed directly forward, but your foot(which has a natural tendency to turn out) is turned outward.

I do not know how well I explained that. I have never actually seen one of these models. Only read about them.

Seems like it would screw up how you roll side to side. Just sitting here if I turn my feet outward it is kinda hard/unnatural to do.

Beetlenut

Seems like it would screw up how you roll side to side. Just sitting here if I turn my feet outward it is kinda hard/unnatural to do.

I also think it would limit the amount of inside knee-drive you could get. I'm also one of those people who's feet turn out and skis spread on the lift, but I don't think I would like the feel of my ski not going where I point my big toe!

wa-loaf

I also think it would limit the amount of inside knee-drive you could get. I'm also one of those people who's feet turn out and skis spread on the lift, but I don't think I would like the feel of my ski not going where I point my big toe!

I've read that it takes a little getting used to but really improves your edging. Some people also hate it. Definitely want to try it out before I buy a boot like that.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ahhh....but that was only one part of his criteria

The Kastle's could fit his stand-out equipment wish list criteria.

;)

I could never afford new Kastle's, well any new ski for that matter until the end of the season, but I'd like to check them out. Not that it matters that much, but I particularly dig the minimalist graphics of the ski.
DHS, you definitely keep me honest. Upon re-reading, I concede that it was not an all inclusive criteria as I stipulated and withdraw my objection.

:grin::snow:

Philpug

Markers new MX heel. Laterally stiffer and more responsive than their previous design.

awf170

This may be the one and only time I am considering spending $600+ ticketed retail price for a piece of equipment pending one of these new boots fits.

Yeah, I'm weak and pathetic so I'm actually going to cough up the $600+ for the Garmont Radium. Any idea where I could try these on.

This is pending that they are the same fit as the megaride. Which I assume they basically are.

garmontradium.jpg

drool...

skibumnh

Nope nothing to see here, except an influx of new rockered, reverse/reverse, re-curved and decambered skis, a dynafit freeride revolution, a downhill oriented AT boot explosion.

Maybe what YOU are skiing on hasn't changed, but that doesn't mean the rest of the industry stands still.

Yeah, I'm weak and pathetic so I'm actually going to cough up the $600+ for the Garmont Radium. Any idea where I could try these on.

This is pending that they are the same fit as the megaride. Which I assume they basically are.

garmontradium.jpg

drool...

$600 bucks for ski boots..da damn,..I think mine were $200..