• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any 2008-09 equipment REALLY worth noting?

I'd say in skis there's evolutionary improvements from year to year pretty much every year. No completely new paradigm (with the exception of rocker/reverse sidecut, etc in pow skis) since the shape ski revolution, but consistent improvements every year since. If your skis are 5 years old, you'll notice a big improvement...wider skis that hold on hard snow better than your current model but float waaaay better in softer snow, slush, spring corn, etc.
As for boots...the abducted stance like Fischer and Nordica are doing is a pretty significant development. At least 80% of us stand in an abducted stance (feet pointing slightly outward) but we're forced by most ski boots to point our toes straight ahead. This internally rotates your femur, causes the pelvis to tilt forward, put pressure on your knee and ankle joints and limits your rotary movements and ability to develop edge angle. I switched to an abducted boot last year (Fischer X-120)...and the difference was significant for me. It took me 3 days to begin to adapt...I'm really particular about my boots, very dialed into my stance, flex, alignment, etc...so I typically take at least a day or two getting used to a new boot....getting used to the abducted stance took about a day or two longer than a typical boot change. Once I was used to it, my short radius turns were quicker than ever before, I felt very well balanced on both inside and outside edges...my knees hurt less after multiple days on snow and I felt like my legs lasted longer. Skiing switch got much easier... But don't take my word for it, I'm an equipment pimp...stand up and relax with your feet about hip to shoulder width apart...now look down at your feet...do they point straight ahead or out a little? Now try walking with your feet pointing straight ahead...does it feel natural or not? If you're like most people, probably not. Ever see a powerlifter do a squat with their toes pointed straight ahead? Hmmmm...coincidence? probably not.

bigbog

...good stuff...

Well described ECPH,
Works so well!....ARE YOU LISTENING GARMONT!!!:)roll:)
*Doesn't foul anything up IF your alignment applies...it's really not that much in degrees...

Last edited:

thaller1

As for the abducted boots..while in theory it's interesting..I can't help but wonder ..wouldn't it be better to do some PT to correct our stance? I am seeing a Personal Trainer right now and that was one of the first things he picked up on... my feet turn outward...

after working on a reverse lunge with a back stretch and forcing my feet inward.. I got relief from knee, calf and hip pain. It was quite interesting.

As for the abducted boots..while in theory it's interesting..I can't help but wonder ..wouldn't it be better to do some PT to correct our stance? I am seeing a Personal Trainer right now and that was one of the first things he picked up on... my feet turn outward...

after working on a reverse lunge with a back stretch and forcing my feet inward.. I got relief from knee, calf and hip pain. It was quite interesting.

our natural stance (slight abduction) isn't something that needs to be corrected for the majority of us, its not a flaw, its part of being human...like opposable thumbs. but yes, for people who are significantly abducted or adducted (pigeon toed) there are orthotics and footwear devices that can help and in some cases PT to strengthen opposing muscles to affect better alignment. your PT probably helped some of the issues that are a result of a higher Q angle and/or excessive pronation.

skidmarks

But don't take my word for it, I'm an equipment pimp...stand up and relax with your feet about hip to shoulder width apart...now look down at your feet...do they point straight ahead or out a little? Now try walking with your feet pointing straight ahead...does it feel natural or not? If you're like most people, probably not. Ever see a powerlifter do a squat with their toes pointed straight ahead? Hmmmm...coincidence? probably not.

I agree we brought Fischer Boots in this year because I've been intrigued by the concept and it seems to make real sense. I can feel a big difference doing the following: I move my feet apart (skiing width) and mimic the side to side hip move you make while carving. I do it first with my feet pointing straight then with my feet slightly outward. What feels better to you?

ECPH have you checked the leading brands to see how many degrees they vary by?

Don't know for sure but I've heard guys like Bode ski boots with different degrees of abduction perhaps even for different events. I don't know if you've seen the move he made in Kitzbuhel (riding the fence) but he seemed balanced.

I agree we brought Fischer Boots in this year because I've been intrigued by the concept and it seems to make real sense. I can feel a big difference doing the following: I move my feet apart (skiing width) and mimic the side to side hip move you make while carving. I do it first with my feet pointing straight then with my feet slightly outward. What feels better to you?

ECPH have you checked the leading brands to see how many degrees they vary by?

Don't know for sure but I've heard guys like Bode ski boots with different degrees of abduction perhaps even for different events. I don't know if you've seen the move he made in Kitzbuhel (riding the fence) but he seemed balanced.

Not sure where Atomic is or where Nordica is and if its diff from the Dobermann Aggressor to the Sportmachine. Fischer says they are 7degrees abducted total but its done from the mid-foot not the heel, so the toes are 3.5 degrees outside of the centerline of the ski and the heel is 3.5 degrees inside of the centerline. The other brands are abducting from the heel only (Fischer claims to have the patent on abduction from the midfoot) so I'd guess their overall abduction is slightly lower otherwise the forefoot would be way outside of the centerline. The world cup racers are all over the map and do vary from SL to GS and speed events. I've heard Nicki Hosp was 12degrees abducted...not sure where Bode is.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Fischer Progressor

http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/617/30/

Fischer progressors

I demoed in November and really did not know what to expect since I really haven't skied anything less than 76mm under foot for years. I LOVED them... they are fast and have the most amazing grip.

At the NASTAR Nationals in Steamboat this past March, a lot of racers were on the Progressor 9 and they were happy with them. Although not a true race ski (Fischer classifies it as High Performance), it performed exceptionally well as a recreational race ski. With its unusual "dual radius" (13m and 17m in the 170 length) design the ski will allow you to initiate a tight turn but still experience a sweeping exit from the apex without hooking up.

We do have the Progressor in stock in our shop in 165, 170, and 175. Call 800-799-5927 for a special AZ rate.

I demoed the ski at Stratton last February and was blown away by it's responsiveness. Conditions that day ranged from ice to crud and the ski seemed unaffected by varying surfaces. This is NICE ski.

Philpug

Is this going to be as much of a "new technology" worth noting as the Jesters or Dukes were during their break out year(s)?
Because we are seeing it trickle down to system skis

Oh.. and Krypton's too.