• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Ads within Threads

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
have they been there all along and i didn't notice them, or is the threading of the google ads within the actual thread new? kinda intrusive when i am reading a topic and see an ad after the original post but before the response. :-?

SilentCal

I thought at first that the screen had frozen somewhere with the links on the bottom. It just doesn't look right but I might not be used to it yet.

ctenidae

I think they're new. Yes, I'm sure of it.
Funny thing is, they're all going to have "avatar" in them somehwere. My brothers and I try to get good ones on the gmail by placing random words in. You can get some random stuff, there.
Try Thigh High Boots.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
The Google ads have been on the page for awhile, I noticed cause I put them on my own site a month ago.

Until today the ad banner has been on the top of the page. Today's placement is diferent, might increase the click rate but it is annoying.

You can show your support for this site by checking the links out as Greg gets paid per click. They are subject specific. I click on them all the time.

BeanoNYC

ctenidae said:
My brothers and I try to get good ones on the gmail by placing random words in. You can get some random stuff, there.
Try Thigh High Boots.

That would make for some interesting ads in the gear forum. :evil:

Greg

Staff member
Moving to Feedback...

Yes, this is new and not part of the phpBB 2.0.14 upgrade. I'm experimenting here a bit to see if I get better performance from the Google ads.

I'm not necessarily trying to make it more intrusive, per se. In fact, I've removed the ads from all other forum pages except the threads so there is actually less advertising on the forum overall. I also feel Google ads are about the least intrusive form of relatively decent performing advertising there is currently. They do a pretty good job of matching relevant ads to the content.

This site and these forums are free to use and I've always prided myself on keeping advertising to help support it to a minimum. If anyone want to pay for hosting costs and/or for all the time it takes me to maintain, update and improve this site, feel free to contact me... ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
This site and these forums are free to use and I've always prided myself on keeping advertising to help support it to a minimum. If anyone want to pay for hosting costs and/or for all the time it takes me to maintain, update and improve this site, feel free to contact me... ;)

I'm sure we all appreciate that the site is free to use. I, for one, am not suggesting that the ads be removed all together, I even use them from time to time. Its just a little annoying to have them in the middle of the thread, who knows I might even get used to it.

bvibert

Staff member
awf170 said:
bvibert said:
Stephen said:
Ads? What ads? Blast this FireFox!

:)

-Stephen

You're not seeing the "Sponsored Links" in the middle of this thread???

i use firefox and i still see them... rivercoil uses firefox, i think and he started this so he sees them too
I use it to, thats why I'm asking... ;)

Greg

Staff member
ski_resort_observer said:
You can show your support for this site by checking the links out as Greg gets paid per click. They are subject specific. I click on them all the time.
Just an FYI - please do not make it a habit of just clicking the Google Ad links because you think you're helping me out. It's not good for the online advertising industry overall as this will eventually devalue clickthroughs. More importantly, Google monitors their ads for excessive clicks from individuals and will ban a publisher from their network if they suspect click fraud. So, my suggestion would be only to click on ads that truly interest you. That will ultimately benefit everybody; you, me and the advertisers.

Anyway, I've made a few changes which I hope will help:
  1. The "Sponsored Links" now look like an actual post. This should restore the continuity of the alternating colors as you read a thread and hopefully is part of what made the initial version here difficult to get used to.
  2. In order to accomplish #1, I had decrease the number of Google Ads displayed from 4 to 3. This will eliminate any need to scroll by users that still use a lower screen resolution like 800x600.
I hope this is an acceptable compromise. During the ski season, this is the location where the banner ads will be displayed on the forums. Hopefully, ya'll are fine with that. After all, displaying ads for local ski areas helps the Northeast ski industry and that's something we all should support.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
yea, that's a little easier on the eyes. i liked the ads where they were before. where were they before? ah yes, that makes sense why you moved them ;) i just noticed the ski area banners have been removed so i see the connection.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
where were they before? ah yes, that makes sense why you moved them ;)
Now you're catching on... ;)