Nassahegan - 10/1/08

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Nassahegan - 10/1/08

Great ride tonight. I'll elaborate more later, but here are a few highlights:
    • Johnnypoach didn't let anyone down with his on trail antics.
    • Met rueler. Super nice guy and it turns out he and johnnypoach have known each other for several years.
    • I took a high speed OTB, lawn darting/landing on my head.
    • powhunter wrecked the usual 5 or 6 times.
    • 2knees styled the 3 footer on his first MTB ride!
    • Two rear derailleurs were destroyed within a half mile of each other - rueler and Grassi21
    One for the record books...

I ski double black diamonds.

I can't wait to hear the stories from this ride!

2knees is my idol. impressive seeing you hit those jumps.

despite the mechanical issues it was a fun ride. i would like to get out there again. i need to start anticipate when i need to shift for a climb. its bothering me that i cant make an attempt at some of those climbs.

missed the lbs by 30 min. talked to roy and they should have it in stock or able to get it by friday. fingers crossed for the weekend.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

what a combo of fun and utter absolute pain. you guys are in some sick shape.

thanks for showing me around, that was eye opening.

"do it bob marley style" could be the quote of the day. I know i just did.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

great riding with you guys!! Sorry I held everyone up at the end with my derailleur issues. It sucked even worse when grassi's went down for the count too. Luckily, I got the bike to my lbs before they shut the doors for the night.

Greg, we both need to check that hobo cave drop off our lists. There's no excuse after seeing how smooth that landing was, even on a hardtail.

Wow, sounds like I missed a good one.
    Brian

Some more detail

Got a call from 2knees who was already at the lot before 4 pm! Chris and I pulled in within seconds of each other at 4:20 which was an appropriate theme for this ride. powhunter and johnnypoach soon arrived and we were off.

I'm sure the guys were like WTF after the first two climbs right off the bat. I was psyched that I cleared both which has been a goal of mine. We then headed south to the top of Wildcat Mountain and rode the latest rejuvenated trail. Part way through we noticed another rider coming towards us in the opposite way. rueler! And it turns out JP and him have some history from skiing together at Southington.

We headed off and did the twisties to the East. I noticed 2knees right on my rear for much of the technical descents. Once at the Tunxis, we headed north to the other newly raked trails. At one point rueler was leading (helluva rider) and I was keeping up pretty good at what I assume was a toned down pace for him. Started down a sweet smooth and fast downhill. Well, I misjudged the hairpin at the end of the hill, mashed the front brakes and OTB'd at a high rate of speed. I think I probably flew 10+ feet before lawn darting and having my body fold over myself like an accordion. Thank god for the helmet as well as impacting soft leafy soil. If I had hit a rock at that speed, this sucka would have been history. Tweaked my back on the compression, but it's not stiffening up as much as I thought it might. The beers are helping.

I let the crew pass as I needed to ride in the back for a while to straighten out my head. We then headed over to the NW section of twisties. We got to the 3 footer and scoped it for a bit. 2knees then decided to go for it and hit it smooooooth. Impressive. Perfect landing. Hitting that with just enough speed to clear it is the key. The landing is great unless you soar too far. Pat did it again, just as cleanly. I was still shaken up and had no interest in trying it today. Next time for sure now that I know that slower is a better approach.

Once back at the Tunxis, we cruised the rock garden. Towards the end rueler annihilated his rear der. Took some time to get that sorted out and he decided to just coaster bike it back. Within 10 minutes Grassi managed to suck a huge stick into his der and ripped that bitch off too. Chris and Scott headed back to the cars.

Pat, Johnny, Steve and me hit the little freeridish decent back to the lot. It took three attempts, but I cleared the big rock to ramp. After scoping the ramp-rock-ramp, I hit that too as did Pat who rode off the last to feet of the descent ramp and shoulder checked a tree. We then sessioned the little dirt jumps. Pat got some nice airs there.

So, all in all an interesting ride. Pat scored an A+ as far as I'm concerned. That was a pretty hard core intro to mountain biking. He's got the balls for it. Just needs to build the wind. We rode 4.72 miles this afternoon. Trail record.

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    what a combo of fun and utter absolute pain. you guys are in some sick shape.

thanks for showing me around, that was eye opening.
    Like I said you have the perfect mentality for MTB. You need to just ride to build up the endurance. Again, that's a no joke intro to MTB and you did great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    "do it bob marley style" could be the quote of the day.
    JP busts out with some classics. The turkey chase was pretty funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by rueler View Post
    great riding with you guys!! Sorry I held everyone up at the end with my derailleur issues. It sucked even worse when grassi's went down for the count too. Luckily, I got the bike to my lbs before they shut the doors for the night.

Greg, we both need to check that hobo cave drop off our lists. There's no excuse after seeing how smooth that landing was, even on a hardtail.
    Great to meet you. You're a helluva rider. Thanks for keeping the pace down when you were leading. Question - do you ever get winded? I never once saw you breathing heavy...

That drop is on the to do list for sure. I wasn't going tempt fate twice and try it today though. I was pretty shaken up from that wreck.

Yeah, we've got to get out again soon! I was super entertained and impressed with your crew. You guys rip. JohnnyPoach definitely supplied enough entertainment to keep me laughing through the weekend. I forgot how nutz he is!! I thought his fork was going to explode on those smaller rock drops...and he kept asking for more. 2knees has serious talent for being a first time rider...i wouldn't call you a full fledged newbie because you ride better than people I know that have been riding for years. You showed us up on the drop...and you dropped it smoooooth both times!!

Greg, I wasn't holding back on the downhills or uphills...which is pretty much all of the loop. You guys keep up fine...and you're a helluva rider. You guys should jump in on a ride with my ski crew. Very similar pace and they're a bunch of knuckleheads that I think you'd all get along with. Johnny knows most of them..

Oh yeah, I don't get winded because I carry an oxygen tank in my camelback.

Quote Originally Posted by rueler View Post
    Oh yeah, I don't get winded because I carry an oxygen tank in my camelback.
    I had a feeling there was some trickery at play. I was wondering if you were a cyborg or something at one point.

Thread Information