• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do You Store Your Ski Equipment?

Charlie Schuessler

I clean everything, then I store my boots in my home office closet, my clothes in with the rest of my outdoor clothes and my (tuned) skis in my home office...attic's, basements and garages are not a consideration...

How do You Store Your Ski Equipment?

R

Rocketman

I believe my bedroom is the best and safest place for my boards...

BeanoNYC

Rocketman said:
I believe my bedroom is the best and safest place for my boards...

Actually, I'm considering putting them under my bed. Anthing I should worry about by doing that?

thetrailboss

Staff member
End of season cleaning right now. Skis will go under bed. Boots will be washed, fixed by Dalbello, and stay in a dry place.

BeanoNYC

thetrailboss said:
End of season cleaning right now. Skis will go under bed. Boots will be washed, fixed by Dalbello, and stay in a dry place.

do you lay them flat on the base or keep them snapped together at the binding?

Sky

I took all the boards/skis out last week in the sun. I let the sun warm the bases then I stroked them up well with wax...edges and bases.

I'll store them in the basement family room with the dehumidifier on all summer.

Works pretty good.

Lostone

I live in a ski condo. We have ski lockers. I keep my skis... in the ski locker. It is inside, but there is still temp and humidity change, but I'm planning on taking them out and running them over snow, ice, branches, grass and an occasional rock. :roll: :wink:

One thing someone suggested was to not leave them locked by the binding brakes. It makes them want to sit straighter than they would normally.

I free them, then put them separately in the locker.

With 4 pair of skis... it does get crowded in there.

I just hope they don't all spring out at me when I open the locker in the fall. :eek: :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Spent all weekend putting them away...four pairs of skis.

Checked edges--sharpened two pair. Real nice.

Brushed and then cleaned the bases with wax as illustrated on Swix's School website (scraped off while still warm and brushed). Afterwards, melted some wax over the edges to prevent rusting (paranoid am I) :wink: After this, applied a coat of the winter wax for the first day...just srape and brush. Placed skis separately underneath our bed...the brakes are holding the skis in the air off of the carpet, so looks good so far (will check the edges/bases every so often).

dmc

In June I toss all my snowboards and skiis into the garage..

All my other gear gets stowed..

On tub for resort stuff.. So I can just reach into it in October/November and get gear to hit Killington...

One tub for back country stuff.. take all the batteries out of my tranceivers.. crampons, axe, probe, etc...

M

mattswann

With a touch of storage wax on them (edges included) and then somewhere dry and not to hot. Skis should be stored like fine wine. CAREFULLY

You can store them joined with the brakes or seperatly make sure they don't lie flat base down on ground incase of moisture. No one likes rusty edges!

Tip... scrape the wax off the edges and a quick brush and you'll be ready to go at the first sign of a cloud. Shouldn't take more than 5 mins work.

zowi420

ski storage

what about loosening the tension on the bindings? waxing the edges to prevent rust is good. . . I store my skis in my office so I can stare at them all summer!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: ski storage

zowi420 said:
what about loosening the tension on the bindings? waxing the edges to prevent rust is good. . . I store my skis in my office so I can stare at them all summer!!!

Welcome to the boards, zowi420. Hope to see more of you. :wink:

catskills

One more thing. Remove your boot liners from the ski boot shell. Dry everything inside your boot shell and your liners. If you have not done this, I bet there still wet. Boot dryers don't dry the boot. You must remove the liners from the shell.

Storage wax on ski and board edges is also a good idea.

I turn down the DIN to zero on my ski bindings over the summer. Just don't forget to reset the DIN when the season starts up like I did. :oops: I got off the gondola at JH with my powder skis, clicked in, and thought h'mm that did not sound right. What was worse I had to take the ski brakes off and back on after transport to JH. I forgot all about that I had turned the DIN down over the summer. No problem, they had a screw driver right there at the top of gondola.

bvibert

Staff member
catskills said:
One more thing. Remove your boot liners from the ski boot shell. Dry everything inside your boot shell and your liners. If you have not done this, I bet there still wet. Boot dryers don't dry the boot. You must remove the liners from the shell.

Do you leave the liners out all summer, or just to dry them out? I take my liners out after every time I hit the slopes anyway, is there a reason to leave them out all summer?

catskills

After you dry everything I put the liners back in the boot shell and buckle the shell back up.