• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nass RAW - 10/3/08

bvibert

Staff member
Quick hitter solo ride this evening. My original plan was to do the standard loop after work. Unfortunately by the time I got to Lamson and got ready to roll it was a bit after 5:30. I figured that I had about 1.5 hours before I wouldn't be able to see anything. For some reason I though I could do the whole loop in that time, with the option to bail down 69 if needed. However when it was right around 6pm as I was starting up the Cornwall climb I began to doubt my time estimates. The prospect of doing those down hills in low light and then riding back on 69 in near darkness with no lights or reflectors wasn't sounding all that good to me. At the top of the climb I decided to head over towards Stone Rd and hit the downhill the runs next to the kitchen, then head back on the DT/fire road. I ended up making it back to Lamson in a bit under an hour. Not feeling all that satisfied with my ride length I decided to hit up the warm-up twisties to finish off the ride. I almost turned right back around as the beginning part is all big pines and quite dark even if it's fairly light in the open.

The ride was pretty uneventful. The parts of the trails near deciduous trees are starting to take on a slightly different feel as the leaves are covering up rocks and roots that are normally visible. I flailed on all the usual spots in the cemetery twisties, and I can't even blame any of it on the leaves. I don't think I cleared anything new except for the steep little rock towards the beginning of the trail over towards Stone, the same rock that I fell on last time and reopened a wound. The trails were pretty dry for the most part, with a few more wet spots than usual. The only other thing of note that I can think of is the first bridge in the warm-up twisties is getting kind of dilapidated. The main runner on the right side seems to be rotting on the end causing it to drop down at the beginning of the bridge. Several of the cross boards have pulled out because of this. I was pretty bummed when I rode up and saw it's sorry shape. :(

On the plus side my wonderful wife bought me a head light for my bike today in her travels, so now I won't have to worry about getting caught in the dark on my RAW rides. :D

ETA: I almost forgot to add that it was definitely a little nippy at the start of the ride. It won't be long before shorts and a t-shirt aren't going to cut it anymore...

rueler

swamp twisties bridge?? on the northwest section of scoville?? give the location and the problem will be fixed!!

bvibert

Staff member
swamp twisties bridge?? on the northwest section of scoville?? give the location and the problem will be fixed!!

I'm not sure what you guys call it, but it's the one that got washed out earlier this year in one of the storms we had. There's a bridge over a stream, then a little half pallet and a shorter bridge over a smaller stream. I remember you guys over on CF had a name for the bridges, but I don't recall what it was now...

rueler

yeah, that's the swamp twisties! We consider that set-up a three or 2 and a quarter bridge setup. The problem is that when we get heavy rains and the water level surges, the bridges actually get lifted right out of there...to build something really nice there would be asking for trouble. That area needs to be considered as a dry season/warm weather route. To expect more from it is unreasonable.

Do you know that I've seen a total of 3 Black Bear (one of which was 200+ lbs) in that same patch of woods that you speak of??

bvibert

Staff member
You're right about that area. I don't think that particular section was dry all summer with all the rain we had. It was hard to see in the low light, but this damage seemed to be the result of a rotting support, not from excessive water.

Thanks for the heads up on the bears, luckily I didn't meet any last night.

gmcunni

Do you know that I've seen a total of 3 Black Bear (one of which was 200+ lbs) in that same patch of woods that you speak of??

not to sound like a little girl here but that would scare the S out of me. my MTB skills are not at a level that i have confidence i could get the F out of there should i piss off a bear.

seeing one a few hundred yards away would be cool.. coming around a corner and finding one staring me in the face . . . :eek:

Greg

Staff member
not to sound like a little girl here but that would scare the S out of me. my MTB skills are not at a level that i have confidence i could get the F out of there should i piss off a bear.

seeing one a few hundred yards away would be cool.. coming around a corner and finding one staring me in the face . . . :eek:

You little girl! :razz:

Black bears aren't that aggressive unless you stumbled upon a momma with her cub(s). Black bears are also pretty quick. Chance are if you came around the corner and saw one, it would be the sight of its ass running away from you.

Sorry about the bumbling ride. I'm not a fan of solo rides either.

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry about the bumbling ride. I'm not a fan of solo rides either.

I guess I did a bad job of conveying my ride. I wouldn't call it a bumbling ride; I'm fairly happy with my riding, though my pace probably would have been a bit faster if I were with other riders.

rueler

The first time I saw bear in there was a couple of springs ago...I was riding with a buddy..It was his first time riding in the woods...I pulled up to the downhill section right by where the a-frame, jump, drop combo is now...I looked ahead on the trail and noticed what I originally thought was a dog who was probably following a hiker or rider....then I heard the saplings and brush SNAPPING as the "dog" went through it.

I stopped and took a closer look from the top of the hill...and said, "that's a little BIG for a dog"...I wasn't really nervous or scared (it happened so fast), but I was very surprised at the bear's behavior at first. I was still at the top of the hill waiting for my buddy...the bear actually turned around and stared up the hill at me for what seemed like 2 minutes (probably more like 15 or 20 seconds). I had always been told that in a large majority of situations black bears would high tail it away from the first sight of you...then, things made sense when my buddy arrived on the scene!!

My friend approached and his brakes squeeled....not even 20 feet off the trail to our left in the tall ferns and brush was another bear who got spooked and took off running down towards the river and the road...all we saw was its ass end bouncing out of the growth (it appeared smaller and could have been a cub) ...the exact second that the smaller hidden bear started running, the big one took off. We immediately turned our butts around and went back towards the cars. We decided to take a different route that day. We ran into 2 or 3 other riders that day who saw the bears either in that patch of woods or in the Scoville twisties that head to E. Chippens Hill road. The other bear I saw was crossing the river by the swamp bridges this summer. It was going the opposite way we were and clearly was moving with intent to get away from the noises that he/she heard.