• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008-10-04 Attempt of Mt Washington

thetrailboss

Staff member
Smart move to bag it and head down. I hiked Mount Ellen yesterday and it was cold...some traces of snow...but cold and windy.

The Presis can be difficult to hike in October.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Everyone that has hiked the Presidentials has probably been turned around at some point due to weather. Even in the dead of summer. I got turned back a few years ago due to monstrous wind as soon as I broke tree line. And I have altered plans more than once while heading up on skis based on changing conditions. Always gotta turn back when things start looking questionable once you get above tree line and that was a good call not going for the summit.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
You chose ... wisely. Turning around is not uncommon on the Presies, especially as the winter weather starts to set in. It was the right thing to do.

That said, these were excellent conditions to have experienced safely!

Mike P.

IMO April & october ar the trickiest months. (November - March you expect it to be winter like) Warm dry trailheads to start but cold & snow up top or rotting snow in April make the conditions tough. If you have a south facing trail, it may melt quicker & some October Days can be vry warm.

I was on Carrigain on 10/4. Just a trace of snow. Did Isolation on 10/5. No snow but you could see ample snow on Washington & Monroe, from the distance & the cover, I'd say 2-4 inches. Cool & windy, gloves needed.