• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Here are some skis for your newbie friends

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
According to this site, 85/100 people who try skiing do not continue skiing? Thank you thank you thank you....

Anyway, these Anton Gliders are supposed to create immediate success at carving -

http://www.antongliders.com/default.asp

Do you think we will really see people using these this season?

We are also developing an ongoing demo/instruction program with Belleayre Mountain in New York State, which has fabulous terrain, a Hi-Speed Quad, and is only 2+ hours from New York City.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I guess they are not flollowing the discussion on Belleayre (I admit, I'm not fully either)

from their demo link

"Currently our Demo Teams are planning trips to Colorado, Utah, Tahoe, and the Northeast for the 2008/2009 season.

We are also developing an ongoing demo/instruction program with Belleayre Mountain in New York State, which has fabulous terrain, a Hi-Speed Quad, and is only 2+ hours from New York City.

Please check back here at the beginning of the season for details.

Those are some damn skinny skis.

Advance 5.5:
Chord length = 130cm
Waist size= 55 mm
Radius = 7.7 m

Carbon FS:
Chord length = 145cm
Waist size= 38 mm
Radius = 8.5 m

Carbon GT:
Chord length = 145cm
Waist size= 52 mm
Radius = 8.5 m

Carbon EX:
Chord length = 154cm
Waist size= 64 mm
Radius = 11.1 m

millerm277

The EX seems approaching "normal" range though, since my skis are 70mm waist with a 16m radius and 170cm length, that isn't too much smaller.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The reason most people don't come back to the sport is not because of equipment, IMO. People have bad first experiences including being too cold and being taught by family or friends instead of getting a series of intro lessons. Then they get taken up a lift they have a hard time using and trying to ski from a trail they can't ski from and fall a lot. People get cold and they get tired and they don't progress quickly because they don't get enough lessons, so they don't have fun.

Immediate success at caving sounds dangerous for skiers that do not yet have a full bag of tricks. An in experienced skier could get going quite quickly (or quicker than their comfort level even on a bunny slope) and hurt themselves either by not taking a somewhat high speed fall well or going off the trail.

It equipment could cause someone to instantly carve, why hasn't that solution been available to all skiers. Because, quite frankly, most skiers can not carve. I used to be able to really rail my skis as a former racer. I will be frank, I am out of practice. Pure carving can be made easier by equipment, but it also takes so hard work and good technique. I rarely make perfect railroad tracks any more even when I am trying to do so. So I think there is some hype and marketing when a company says a piece of equipment can allow someone who has never skied before to carve even while most advanced skiers rarely achieve a really solid carve.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
What do they go for?

Watch the vids on the site - they ain't cheap...

....Immediate success at caving sounds dangerous for skiers that do not yet have a full bag of tricks. An in experienced skier could get going quite quickly (or quicker than their comfort level even on a bunny slope) and hurt themselves either by not taking a somewhat high speed fall well or going off the trail.

It equipment could cause someone to instantly carve, why hasn't that solution been available to all skiers. Because, quite frankly, most skiers can not carve. I used to be able to really rail my skis as a former racer. I will be frank, I am out of practice. Pure carving can be made easier by equipment, but it also takes so hard work and good technique. I rarely make perfect railroad tracks any more even when I am trying to do so. So I think there is some hype and marketing when a company says a piece of equipment can allow someone who has never skied before to carve even while most advanced skiers rarely achieve a really solid carve.

Great comments about unsuccessful beginners. I am thinking last season my wife's friend Carol - her first time skiing since 1983 - would have been a lot more fun with these instead of with ski patrol and first aid. Well, she did score a snowmobile ride....

The inventor is no slacker. He interestingly has an Academy Award for inventing a camera battery that revolutionized hand-held cameras. Watch the vids on the site - the contact with snow is uncanny and users look like they look like rollerblading. They are short, narrow - specifically not meant for anything more extreme than an easy blue groomer.

I am not sweatin' them, I am just sayin' -

Last edited: