• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diagonal Ski Carrying Backpack

BeanoNYC

Stupid question here. Can people pack their ski's diagonaly and still click their boots into their skis for the hike? I'm wondering if the diagonal setup needs the brakes to keep the skis together. I'm assuming that if you can click diagonaly the boots are together in the middle of the pack, rather one on each side, and are easier to lug around.

BeanoNYC

I got the Dakine Ridge from EMS today (on sale for $50 bucks. It carries the skis diagonally. You can click the boots in,but the bottom one of the boots keeps hitting me in my back thigh. I can't picture hiking with that happening. The bag doesn't allow for carrying your skis in the "A" fashion. I think I'm going to return it for a different one.

I do like the bag though .... any suggestions?

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
Stupid question here. Can people pack their ski's diagonaly and still click their boots into their skis for the hike? I'm wondering if the diagonal setup needs the brakes to keep the skis together. I'm assuming that if you can click diagonaly the boots are together in the middle of the pack, rather one on each side, and are easier to lug around.

Doesnt sound very balanced...

JimG.

Staff member
I have a diagonal ski carry system on my BCA Stash backpack...haven't had any issues with my boots hitting my thighs when I hike with my gear on my back.

How big is your pack? Mine is small (1100 cu in), so maybe my gear is riding higher up on my back because of the pack's small size.

BeanoNYC

It's not all my gear, just my boots when I click in. Do you click your boots in for the hike? This is a bit bigger, around 1700 ci .... you may have a point with the size.

JimG.

Staff member
Apples to apples...I'm talking about hiking with my skis and boots on my back, the boots in the ski bindings.

Never had a problem with the boots hitting my thighs. I'll bet it has to do with the small size of my pack.

bigbog

On those busy weekends to/from Tuckerman, the space was....as you have imagined, pretty close...too close for me, although maybe it was a little of my imagination..?? I'd say it would definitely be fine on a weekday.

$.01 :-?

BeanoNYC

Alrighty. I brought the Dakine back to EMS. While rummaging through their winter clearance items I came upon The North Face, Off Chute 35.

I can go typical A-Frame style on the side or put them vertical from the back.

Grabbed it for 59 smackers!

Went home, gave it a test run and I love it!

When I finally get the nerve and skills to ski tucks, this will be my pack.

Check it out: http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/ou...Chute-35-Ski-Pack-2150-cu-in.html?id=MhKRiESx