• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Freeze Warning is MUCH BETTER than a Frost Warning!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
224 PM EDT MON OCT 6 2008

...FREEZING TEMPERATURES EXPECTED FOR MUCH OF THE NORTH COUNTRY
TONIGHT...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE HIGHLY
LIKELY. BE AWARE THAT THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND
SENSITIVE FLATLANDERS.:roll:

It's a good thing I don't have any tender plants or vegetation..it's already into the 40s in my hood..so frost is a possibility in the early AM..

bvibert

Staff member
34F leaving my house for work at 7:15 this morning. I had frozen dew on my windshield. :D

Greg

Staff member
Yep. We have a freeze warning for tonight now too. I already drained and brought in the garden hoses yesterday. It's coming folks!

bvibert

Staff member
Yep. We have a freeze warning for tonight now too. I already drained and brought in the garden hoses yesterday. It's coming folks!

I took one air conditioner out of the window and covered the other last night. I also fired up the furnace for the first time. Not so thrilled about having to use the furnace, but if it means that we're closer to SNOW then I'm happy.

I was pumped to use my ice scraper this morning! 8)

Glenn

Saw frost on some lawns and many roofs this morning on the way in.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
nobody noticed the original posting was word-smithed to describe the possibility that the freeze would kill flatlanders...
I wonder if they had to cancel school yet????

Greg

Staff member
nobody noticed the original posting was word-smithed to describe the possibility that the freeze would kill flatlanders...

I noticed. Lexington, MA, eh? Therefore, you too are a flatlander... :roll:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
My question is exactly how is it "much better than a frost warning" other than maybe meaning we are closer to winter. Course, a calendar still works just fine for that. If it was Nov 1st I would agree with the OP as that is the time many of the resorts are planning to fire up their snowmaking.

We had frost this morning...none on my car as I didn't leave for work until 7:55AM but at work in the grass there was frost and it was 40 degrees../

bvibert

Staff member

I'll be perfectly honest, I tend to scan over CAPS text. Especially weather stuff, as it's usually filled with terms I don't care to know. ;)

Glenn

I'm dead serious: Two schools in CT had 2 hour delays this morning due to lack of heat. So yes, flatlanders were effected! I wasn't able to check the grocery store though...to see if there was a run on bread, milk and bottled water. :spin: