• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Galehead, South & North Twin (See trails below)

Mike P.

Via Gale River, Garfield Ridge, Frost, Twinway, North Twin Spur, North Twin trails.

Date 06/14/2003

Conditions: Gale River trail river crossings were fairly easy, the crossing of the little river closest to N. Twin Summit was high (I put a boot in over the top of the boot) so we skipped the lower two via the herdpath which is easier to follow now than it was when I last used it in 1999. Frost trail has some standing water on it & North Twin Spur could use some cutting back near South Twin. A couple of downed trees but nothing to hard. A lot of blow down has been cleared on North Twin Spur in the col since 199 offering additional views towards Presidentials, not that we had any views.

Special Required Equipment: Rain coat was used by most people on the summit of South Twin as it was a cool misty day with occasional showers. The lack of views kept summit times brief so I didn't bother with the extra layer. (Some of us carry extra layers... extra hair, extra internal insulation, spare tire, etc...)

Comments: This was my first vist to Galehead since it was rebuilt. I was there in the winter 01 but it was closed. Very impressive. Farmer Bob & I were spotting his car at N. Twin lot where we saw Peter H. waiting in the rain. (We had planned on doing a Presidential traverse but the rain & a wind blowing in our face the entire day - South 25 at 5:00AM on Washington - changed our plans. He joined FB & I and I found out he works across the street from me & lives in CT also. No views to speak of but when we were at Hut, you could make out Galehead in the mist. We made the best of the weather & no BUGS!