• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

fixedgrip16

Boonies?? You got that right. Look at it this way though. I'm getting some grazin' ol' dates with Mrs.Cowmoose. :grin: Subys rock. I put the Studs on my Outback and it becomes the snowslasher.:daffy::beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Great thoughts from Geoff in this thread. I always smirk a little bit when these "ski car" threads come up because any car with a reasonably good set of snow tires will work great for driving in the snow. Many folks automatically assume that a "ski car" needs to have AWD. While AWD helps in many conditions, it is very rare that you truly "need" AWD as long as you have snows. The "need" would arise, as Geoff mentions, if you live on a hill, have a poorly plowed drive way, etc. AWD is not needed on pavement unless it is truly unsafe to drive. Meanwhile, I think it would not be a good idea to rely on AWD without snows for good traction and safety. All that said, AWD and Snows is definitely the ultimate in safety and winter driveability and assurances if you are driving in areas that are suspect on conditions (off pavement, steep dirt roads, etc.) and will probably be something I look for in my next car.

For the AWD'ers, the redesigned Forseter still looks pretty lame to my eyes. But it is a HUGE step forward in design compared to the last series in the line. One of the best redesigns on a vehicle line I have ever seen. Seems like a really good option for traveling with a lot of gear if the Outback seems too small. The Outback seems like one of the best all arounders with decent MPG at just under 30 MPG. The Matrix/Vibe AWD seems kind of high priced for what it is. Not a lot of good AWD options that are not crossover, SUV, truck, etc. The four door passenger cars that have AWD (with exception of the Subaru models) all seem to be mostly upper price tag models.

I say don't forget to take AWD out of the picture and consider getting a vehicle with snow tires that matches your other needs (space, MPG, rack options, features, looks, maintenance costs, etc.).

campgottagopee

Great thoughts from Geoff in this thread. I always smirk a little bit when these "ski car" threads come up because any car with a reasonably good set of snow tires will work great for driving in the snow. Many folks automatically assume that a "ski car" needs to have AWD. While AWD helps in many conditions, it is very rare that you truly "need" AWD as long as you have snows. The "need" would arise, as Geoff mentions, if you live on a hill, have a poorly plowed drive way, etc. AWD is not needed on pavement unless it is truly unsafe to drive. Meanwhile, I think it would not be a good idea to rely on AWD without snows for good traction and safety. All that said, AWD and Snows is definitely the ultimate in safety and winter driveability and assurances if you are driving in areas that are suspect on conditions (off pavement, steep dirt roads, etc.) and will probably be something I look for in my next car.

For the AWD'ers, the redesigned Forseter still looks pretty lame to my eyes. But it is a HUGE step forward in design compared to the last series in the line. One of the best redesigns on a vehicle line I have ever seen. Seems like a really good option for traveling with a lot of gear if the Outback seems too small. The Outback seems like one of the best all arounders with decent MPG at just under 30 MPG. The Matrix/Vibe AWD seems kind of high priced for what it is. Not a lot of good AWD options that are not crossover, SUV, truck, etc. The four door passenger cars that have AWD (with exception of the Subaru models) all seem to be mostly upper price tag models.

I say don't forget to take AWD out of the picture and consider getting a vehicle with snow tires that matches your other needs (space, MPG, rack options, features, looks, maintenance costs, etc.).

Nice read---thanks. I'm glad you guys (the AWD don't needers:razz:) give yourselves an out by saying "in most" cases AWD isn't needed. I say that because YOU WOULD NOT MAKE IT UP MY DRIVEWAY without AWD/4WD. Yes, it's a rare occasion that most people normally wouldn't run into, but for my $$$$$ couldn't be without it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice read---thanks. I'm glad you guys (the AWD don't needers:razz:) give yourselves an out by saying "in most" cases AWD isn't needed. I say that because YOU WOULD NOT MAKE IT UP MY DRIVEWAY without AWD/4WD. Yes, it's a rare occasion that most people normally wouldn't run into, but for my $$$$$ couldn't be without it.
I leave myself an out because I have been there. We had a nasty driveway up in VT and almost got stuck trying to get up and around a few times. One time, S always skidded into a hill and tipped the car due to black ice (despite starting down the drive way at a snails pace). AWD would not have helped at all but AWD and Snows would have made a scary moment a non-issue. And AWD and Snows would have made me less nurvous during the nights of a big storm (am I going to get my car up the dirt road barely plowed drive way and go skiing or not?).

Don't lump me in with the "AWD don't needers" because I feel for my obsessive needs (especially earned turn needs which occasionally put me in places not well plowed) in actually would help. But I question any one that says they "need" AWD if they only drive on pavement and don't have any big hills to make it up. I've blown by SUVs without snows in my light weight 2WD w/snows. It is a creature comfort for most people that costs more up front and down the road when a $150-200 per year on snow tires would easily get the job done.

I always like to toss that out there because when people start talking ski cars, most automatically think AWD is a must. There are other more important factors unless AWD is definitely "needed".

campgottagopee

I leave myself an out because I have been there. We had a nasty driveway up in VT and almost got stuck trying to get up and around a few times. One time, S always skidded into a hill and tipped the car due to black ice (despite starting down the drive way at a snails pace). AWD would not have helped at all but AWD and Snows would have made a scary moment a non-issue. And AWD and Snows would have made me less nurvous during the nights of a big storm (am I going to get my car up the dirt road barely plowed drive way and go skiing or not?).

Don't lump me in with the "AWD don't needers" because I feel for my obsessive needs (especially earned turn needs which occasionally put me in places not well plowed) in actually would help. But I question any one that says they "need" AWD if they only drive on pavement and don't have any big hills to make it up. I've blown by SUVs without snows in my light weight 2WD w/snows. It is a creature comfort for most people that costs more up front and down the road when a $150-200 per year on snow tires would easily get the job done.

I always like to toss that out there because when people start talking ski cars, most automatically think AWD is a must. There are other more important factors unless AWD is definitely "needed".

All that is true---AWD/4WD does nothing to help you stop and that's where the majority of issues arrive in winter driving. I've come to the conclusion that some peeps just "feel better" or more secure in AWD, so for them I guess it's worth the added $$$$ for peace of mind.

ccskier

Bought the wife a big gas guzzling Ford Expedition today, comfort and the big feel for safety outweighs the econmical issue.

All that is true---AWD/4WD does nothing to help you stop and that's where the majority of issues arrive in winter driving. I've come to the conclusion that some peeps just "feel better" or more secure in AWD, so for them I guess it's worth the added $$$$ for peace of mind.

One of the reasons I bought my Impreza three years ago was because Suburu is the only car company I know of where there is no surcharge for AWD/4WD..AWD makes a huge difference if you get stuck because on my old Sentra..if my front tires were stuck I was screwed..you have more options with AWD..

air0rmc

It depends on budget and how you travel.In your neck of the woods fwd and stability control on four nokian WRG2 tires will be more than adequate.Heated seats are a must also.I have had Audi's,VW and Subaru's I now have a Ford Freestyle crossover and it is big and rides great.Nothing compares to european quality and ride but you will pay a hefty premium and beware of used european cars maint.costs can be devastating to a budget.Now is a great time to buy anything you like.My pick would be VW passat or the new VW minivan (nice) heated seats front and back.Subaru tribeca,Honda pilot are nice also.Good luck let us know what you picked.....!

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I have had both the Toyota Highlander and the Honda Pilot before our 08 Tribeca, and I can tell you the Subie wins in the snow hands down, even with crappy tires. (Goodyear LS2's). I really feel the Tribeca tries to emulate teh BMW X5 series to a point, and does so very well.

Last edited:

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Great thread - thanks to all who shared their opinions!

This is a highly informational thread, huh? I bet the car dealers are googling this one....

So I really see the overwhelming message is Subaru. They are obviously great cars, especially looking at the used pricing on vehicles with lots of miles! Been checking them out online and am gonna see if I can get out for some test drives this week. Going Subaru might have a lot to do with how my son's knees can handle the back seat. I generally like the looks of the smaller Outback over the Forrester, but there is a sweet black '04 Forester XT w/64K miles practically down the street from me at the Honda dealer. If I can get them to take the Town & Country as a trade at a little more than current KBB, I can grab it for under 10K.

I am not real great at moving fast on purchases like this, though. So I'll let you know if anything actually happens.

Last edited:
Couple thoughts...
Looked at cars this past weekend and pretty sure the AWD Matrix only get in the 20s, not even highway was 30.

Everybody seems to love the Subies. Do any of you have long legs? I find Subie seats really uncomfortable. The seat is too short so there is no support which is miserable on long drives.

Question about snow tires... I was car shopping with my sister recently and she started by wanting AWD, no SUV. Quickly shifted to looking at FWD because of mileage and price. She is a nervous winter driver and spends a lot of time on winding, hilly, country roads. How much will snow tires help on something like a Mazda3 or Civic?

I've got a 34" inseam...my outback seats aren't as comfy as the saabs I used to drive but I don't find them uncomfortable...the leather seats are built differently than the cloth seats...our 97 had cloth, my 98 has leather, there was a diff there. but if a cushy seat is the trade off for how they grip the road, I'll take grip every time.

snow tires are like custom footbeds...huge diff over all season. I've lived in places where I had to use chains on FWD....used to have 50mile commutes on ME backroads, hilly drives in Tahoe and CO, I wouldn't ski without a footbed and I won't run the cars in the winter w/out snows.

millerm277

Friend of mine has a Subaru, it'll go through anything. Great in the snow.
Our Mazda Tribute has also been quite good for skiing, thule makes a good rack for it, handles the snow and resort parking lots well, and isn't bad on gas.

I have the least most impractical ski vehicle of anyone here I think...1993 Nissan 300zx.

air0rmc

I've got a 34" inseam...my outback seats aren't as comfy as the saabs I used to drive but I don't find them uncomfortable...the leather seats are built differently than the cloth seats...our 97 had cloth, my 98 has leather, there was a diff there. but if a cushy seat is the trade off for how they grip the road, I'll take grip every time.

snow tires are like custom footbeds...huge diff over all season. I've lived in places where I had to use chains on FWD....used to have 50mile commutes on ME backroads, hilly drives in Tahoe and CO, I wouldn't ski without a footbed and I won't run the cars in the winter w/out snows.

Tires are four of the most important components on your car,and can have a dramatic affect on safety and driver confidence.I live in North central NY state (heavy lake affect snow belt) and commuted to Boston,Newark and Philadelphia airport weekly for 15 years averaging 900 miles a week and now have been commuting to Syracuse airport for 2.5 years daily.I have learned alot about tires,awd and fwd on Audi,VW,Sube,Toyota and dom SUV's and Pickups (when gas was 95 cents a gallon on the NJTP).AWD is nice piece of mind but overkill on most main roads.I can count on one hand how many times I could not have made it without AWD.If you are a rural mail carrier or have a challenginng driveway that is different.In my opinion AWD is most important for traction from a dead stop and ascending hills in heavy snow or ice,but FWD with the right tires will do the trick.Any snow tire for example Hankook I pike or the popular Blizzak will be night and day depending on road condition and speed but on those dry pavement days can be noisy and unpredictable and cause premature wear.All seasons are all over field some ok some dangerously unsafe in snow and ice but none good.The one exception is the NOKIAN tire and the reason is it is an all season with hard core snow tire performance and high performance in rain and dry pavement with unbelievable treadwear.WR model or WRG2,check them out online you wont be dissappointed infact you will be amazed....!

SKIQUATTRO

I have no desire for a MV either, but somethings just make financial/family sense....Of course I'd like to get back into another Armada or Sequoia, but if you take a step back and think about it I paid alot for the Armada for features i never used (4x4 HI or LO was never used) it had AWD with BFG All Terrains and it was fantastic, I never took it on the beach or off road (99% of SUVs never do either) the Pros were the cargo room, bullet proof engine, ground clearance (made use of it 1x) and the Agro feeling of being in a manly SUV.....Cons were cost to run (fuel was $90/week pre Xmas of 2007) Cant let the "what will others think of me in a minivan" to cloud the decision...the extra fuel savings are better spent towards my kids 529 plan...