• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKIING: Killington, Vermont - Friday, 11/21

bvibert

Staff member
They've had water rights from Haystack since they sold it off a few years ago. What they got this year was the ability to use an EXTRA I believe 18 million gallons(or some amount close to that), over the course of the year that previously just sat in the pond next to the entry for Haystack.

Mount Snow's entire pumping system is connected. If you were to drive down Handle Road (the road that goes from Carinthia to Haystack), there's a big supply pipe burried on the West Side of the road that connects Haystack's water to Mount Snow's system. Then once it gets to Mount Snow, the pump house/ snow making building that's off to the left of the Nitro Quad as you look up at the mountain from the parking lot sends the water up the hill and into the system, and depending on what valves are opened/closed the water can end up on any snowmaking trail on the mountain.

This already existing pipe between Haystack and Mount Snow is a component of what would be the final pipe/pump system for the proposed West Lake project, although the town of Wilmington wants the ability to use some of it for fire hydrant purposes.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if they had the mountain split into different zones that couldn't be easily connected.

drjeff

The extended forecast is not looking too friendly for constructive snowmaking and I doubt that Mount Snow would be able to open by the 14th.

Looking at the models way out. I'd give them a pretty good shot a opening day of the 15th.

That first pool of cold air arriving sometime Sunday/Monday per the models wants to send the coldest stuff towards the mid-appalachians, and us up in New England look like we'll need to wait to Wednesday or so of next week until a decent cold pool heads our way :(

loafer89

Looking at the models way out. I'd give them a pretty good shot a opening day of the 15th.

That first pool of cold air arriving sometime Sunday/Monday per the models wants to send the coldest stuff towards the mid-appalachians, and us up in New England look like we'll need to wait to Wednesday or so of next week until a decent cold pool heads our way :(

A storm system next week looks to come into the Ohio Valley and then move east, most likely bringing rain to New England. I have heard of a turn to cold weather for the Thanksgiving period and lasting into December.

drjeff

Ha, Ha, funny:lol: I just call them like I see them and it looks warm until around Thanksgiving.

That's what it's starting to look like unfortunately. I just hope that one of these systems in the long range models rolling out of Canada will definatively shift the pattern before then. Unfortunately it seems like each and everyone as of late is well moderated temperature wise when it hits the East coast, followed by some West/SW flow within 48 hrs of hitting the Eastern seaboard :( Plus, even the "cold" stuff in the models isn't getting much below 20 degrees(if that) in the lower 10,000 feet of the atmosphere as of yet :(

Greg

Staff member
I'm going to guess that it's going to be a long shot for Mount Snow on Friday, certainly not anything on the North Face. I propose we move the venue to Killington. I'd imagine they'll have at least what they had last week by then. Who's in for K-mart on Friday? Roll call:

Greg

Grassi21

I'm going to guess that it's going to be a long shot for Mount Snow on Friday, certainly not anything on the North Face. I propose we move the venue to Killington. I'd imagine they'll have at least what they had last week by then. Who's in for K-mart on Friday? Roll call:

Greg

i already requested the day off...

Greg
Grassi21

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I want to go so badly... and I have no problem with playing lodge mom most of the day... the extra drive may be a bit much for the kids though. BUT knowing that I'd likely only get to ski a few runs (if that), I can't justify the cost. :( Have fun.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Is this at regular rates? $77 for full day?

Just checking... I was thinking of maybe finding a way to get up on Saturday but not if it's at the regular Saturday rate of $82...