• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiker's notes from Iraq

pedxing

Inspired by Silent Cal's posts on the Flags on the 48 forum, I thought I'd share this website with those who are interested http://hikinghq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=91fbf67b73d79ea7081e76d5b5af09a8&forumid=27

This link leads to Sgt. Rock's letters from the front (his trail name is proof positive that he has a good sense of humor). Sgt. Rock is a backpacker now serving in Iraq. I don't know him personally, although I've traded emails and have posted to the same threads. Mostly I've known him as a thoughtful, intelligent man because of his web site and his careful evaluation of gear and all things backpacking related. My respect has grown as I've followed his experience in Iraq.

Whatever you believe about the war/occupation of Iraq, I hope we can all agree that we are all better off for Sgt. Rock and folks like him who serve now and have served in the past. Just think what would be happining now if the US military force in Iraq was composed of less able, less disciplined and less concientious individuals.