• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"bitter sweet"

air0rmc

Are foliage in this region peaked around 3 weeks ago.I rake the leaves up promptly when the tree's are bare before they get dusted with snow.I recruit my 8 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter But they get pretty wild so after they are worn out from swinging from a rope into the pile they are not much help.My wife and I then rake them on to a tarp while the kids stand on the corners and whine.After 20 or so trips to the road we are done, this proccess takes all day, after soccer games ofcoarse.I drink lots of beer then we cook out and make smores at the fire place one last time.We got are first good dusting of snow last night....Yippy.....!

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I continue to tell myself that raking dethatches that dead stuff and is good for the lawn.

Good exercise anyway. Probably do some of that this weekend. Maybe.

Trekchick

I know my yard looks better in the spring when I rake leaves, but I just can't get to it this year. Perhaps I'll get lucky and the wind will blow them out in the rye field. :)

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
This time of year is a double edge sword to me, ski season is right around the corner, right along with LEAVES! I have many Oak trees, and If I were to leave them to the end, i would be up to my waist in leaves. Blow them away from the house's landscaping and off the driveway into the grass. Then stop every 10 minutes with the lawnmower to empty the bag...I hate it:evil:

o3jeff

I usually just bag mine with the lawnmower. Seems every time I try to use a hand held blower it is always windy and gets me more frustrated.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This time of year is a double edge sword to me, ski season is right around the corner, right along with LEAVES! I have many Oak trees, and If I were to leave them to the end, i would be up to my waist in leaves. Blow them away from the house's landscaping and off the driveway into the grass. Then stop every 10 minutes with the lawnmower to empty the bag...I hate it:evil:
I love and hate oak trees. The tree rodents love 'em, we had a baby boom of them a few years ago, got to be a real problems. Also, oaks are last to drop their leave. With the warm weather continuing until late, they had better not drop during ski season (read: north woods). I've gone out, had a talk with them, swinging the chain saw around in a threatening sort of way. let's see if I can whip them into compliance!:dunce:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Are foliage in this region peaked around 3 weeks ago.I rake the leaves up promptly when the tree's are bare before they get dusted with snow.I recruit my 8 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter But they get pretty wild so after they are worn out from swinging from a rope into the pile they are not much help.My wife and I then rake them on to a tarp while the kids stand on the corners and whine.After 20 or so trips to the road we are done, this proccess takes all day, after soccer games ofcoarse.I drink lots of beer then we cook out and make smores at the fire place one last time.We got are first good dusting of snow last night....Yippy.....!
I wish I had it that easy. Too bad I *heart* trees....

drjeff

Especially this time of year, the number of hours this saves me

cyclonerake.jpg

is amazing! Literally the only difference between regular lawn mowing and full heavy duty leaf clean up is 1) I keep the mower in 3rd gear instead of 4th during leaf clean up and 2) I'll need to empty the catch bag 2 to 4 times during leaf clean up as opposed to 1 time during regular mowing (and I've got about an acre of grass with lots of Maple, Oak and Birch all around the property)

Leaf clean up takes me atmost 15 extra minutes over a regular lawn cutting session ever since I got my Cyclone Rake :)