• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AMC Eagle

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Girlfriend and I were taking a walk on Sunday, and in a driveway was an AMC Eagle. It was in great shape, no rust, no real visible wear and tear. Hadn't seen one of those in a long long time. Did any of you own one or knew someone who did?

I thought they were pretty cool when they were being produced

AMC Eagle

Greg

Staff member
I'm a bit partial to the Gremlin.

Glenn

Beefy cars IIRC. Pretty much a 4wd drivetrain in a semi car like chasis.

o3jeff

My first car was a hand me down 1972 Hornet with the 304 V8, thing would do a pretty good one legger down the street.

Glenn

AWD drivetrain. Used a viscous coupling for the center dif, like nearly all Subaru's today.

Really? I thought they used a selectable t-case. That's what I get for not reading the link. :oops:

bvibert,
Now you're talkin! Throw on a set of 33's..and some chrome side pipes for good measure. Might as well see if you could stuff a V8 under there keep those wheels spinning. :beer:

ComeBackMudPuddles

Pimp!!!

Never saw one of these.....

250px-1981_AMC_Eagle_convertible_beige_NJ.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
AWD drivetrain. Used a viscous coupling for the center dif, like nearly all Subaru's today.

Good point. As I understand it they were the first to use such a system in a car. ;) IIRC they used the same Quadratrac transfer case that was available in some Jeep models since the 70's. A good solid unit as long as you put the right oil in it. I had one in my 79 J10 and have one in my 78 Cherokee WT (both with the low range option). You can also lock the coupler together to get true 4WD, I'm not sure if that was available in the cars though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Girlfriend and I were taking a walk on Sunday, and in a driveway was an AMC Eagle. It was in great shape, no rust, no real visible wear and tear. Hadn't seen one of those in a long long time. Did any of you own one or knew someone who did?

I thought they were pretty cool when they were being produced

AMC Eagle

In '82 looking to buy my first new vehicle. It was to be my first reliable skimobile. Tossup between the AMC Eagle and the Subaru GL Wagon.

In my purchase decision, the AMC lost out on two fronts:
a) Reliability
b) meager rear headroom/cargo space - floor was quite high.

The rest is history. Sadly for AMC.

p.s., I thought the Gremlin was cute because my girlfriend drove one.

And.... My father had a propensity for buying deathtraps: Chevrolet Corvair, Ford Pinto, then giving them to my mother to drive....

bvibert

Staff member
In '82 looking to buy my first new vehicle. It was to be my first reliable skimobile. Tossup between the AMC Eagle and the Subaru GL Wagon.

In my purchase decision, the AMC lost out on two fronts:
a) Reliability
b) meager rear headroom/cargo space - floor was quite high.

The rest is history. Sadly for AMC.

p.s., I thought the Gremlin was cute because my girlfriend drove one.

And.... My father had a propensity for buying deathtraps: Chevrolet Corvair, Ford Pinto, then giving them to my mother to drive....

Maybe if you had bought that Eagle then AMC would still be around to this day... :smash: