• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

skidmarks

Whoops. :oops: Wearing them now and they feel fine so I'm not too concerned. I still have a bit of pressure on both tibia ankle bones, but overall they feel better. Why would the heating process be different? They're both just EVA foam, no? Why does the oven heating reduce life?

Make sure you grill them just right using Kingsford charcoal on a Webber..........

Trekchick

ID liners are designed to be heated from the inside, not in a confection or traditional oven. Older Thermoflex liners were designed to do that, these are not. This will severely reduce life.

Please don't do the at home easy bake..

Intuition liners are intended to provide a custom fit with the proper equipment. It amazes me the amount of folks who assume that they are like the old liners that were "easy bake".

Too much $$ into my ID's to take chances at home.

o3jeff

Please don't do the at home easy bake. If it's your inside ankle bone we should look at those foot beds again and go from there. A little grind or push out may be in order too.

Yep, was the inside ankle bone on the left. Can probably stop by tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday since I am only working a half day.

Trekchick

Phil, or Skidmarks, do the krypton ID"s need to be reheated after doing a minor adjustment like adding a hinge bushing, for cuff alignment?

Last edited:

skidmarks

reheat

Phil, or Skidmarks, do the krypton ID"s need to be reheated after doing a minor adjustment like adding a hinge bushing, for cuff alignment?

I wouldn't think so but I did have some questions about your cuff adjustment. Did you adjust the cuff to follow your leg or to move the center of knee mass? Have you skied in your boots yet?

Trekchick

I wouldn't think so but I did have some questions about your cuff adjustment. Did you adjust the cuff to follow your leg or to move the center of knee mass? Have you skied in your boots yet?
I figured that the heat mold would be fine after the cuff adjustment.
Center of knee mass
No, I'll be skiing on Saturday. Will report back.

Greg

Staff member
Well, FWIW, my Betty Crocker method worked out just fine. Boots feel great. I love the forward flex of the soft tongues.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm thinking about trying the bigger wedges for more forward lean in mine. So far I'm overall pretty happy with the boot though. I may need another visit or two to the fitter. I'm gonna ski them a bit more and experiment with buckle settings and such before I have any more work done.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't skied bumps yet in mine, but don't use a wedge and find I get plenty forward flex/lean and that includes using the stiff tongues. I'm not sure I'd want to reduce range of motion by adding a wedge, but I suppose I can't speak to it unless I try it. My biggest concern is that I don't want to 'over think' the boot. I'll stick to what I've got going now for at least a half dozen days in all conditions before I start tweaking.

skidmarks

I figured that the heat mold would be fine after the cuff adjustment.
Center of knee mass
No, I'll be skiing on Saturday. Will report back.

Are you off by much?
If you are it would be better for the cuff to follow the leg and the boots to be canted instead.

To check it place your footbeds in the shells w/o liners. Buckle the boot the same as you would if the liners were in place. Stand in an athletic neutral stance and make sure the leg is centered between the boot cuff walls. Once this is done you can check COKM and see if you need canting which can be done several ways. Most of us will adapt to being off a little!

Trekchick

Are you off by much?
If you are it would be better for the cuff to follow the leg and the boots to be canted instead.

To check it place your footbeds in the shells w/o liners. Buckle the boot the same as you would if the liners were in place. Stand in an athletic neutral stance and make sure the leg is centered between the boot cuff walls. Once this is done you can check COKM and see if you need canting which can be done several ways. Most of us will adapt to being off a little!
Sorry it took me some time to post back,
If you look at my thread about the entire boot fitting experience, you'll see how much I was off on the Kryzma.
http://forums.alpinezone.com/42407-your-feet-worth-visit-boot-fitter.html

I'm posting an update in that thread.
Looking forward to your input.

skidmarks

A bit off

Sorry for the delay in response.

I just wonder if this is the correct fix. If you have a chance see if the cuff follows you lower leg in your right boot. You really don't want to push the knee into place by using the cuff adjustment. You can check it out by standing in your shells on your footbeds, feet (your ski stance) apart. Is you leg centered in the cuff?

bvibert

Staff member
IMG_1590.jpg

What's involved with reversing the front buckle? It looks like you've trimmed down the latch catch part and rebolted the two pieces in opposite spots. Is that all there is to it?

On my cross theres a spot marked on the side, under the hole that the buckle uses, that looks like it could be drilled out to accept the latch catch at it's full length. Am I crazy?

Greg

Staff member
What's the point in reversing the front buckle?

bvibert

Staff member
My front buckle keeps popping open and getting all twisted up when I take a spill, particularly on firm bumps. One side got so twisted up that it became unusable. I just bent it back in a vise. I'd rather keep it form happening again, or from breaking completely.

I saw somewhere that the new kryptons have the buckles reversed from the factory and got to thinking. I did some looking around and found that Phil had already done the mod on his boots..