• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

mondeo

I weigh in at 250+ right now. The medium tongue seems way flexy to me. I guess I could stick with it and give it a try.

End of last season I was at 215-220, and I go with the stiff tongues.

The thing I like about the stiffer tongue is that I feel it gives me a better indication of shin pressure; with the softer tongue it's a little more ambiguous if it's just contact or if it's actual pressure. And even with the stiff tongue and gold liners, still no shin bash.

The middle buckle is most important and the position of it on the Krypton along with the hinge point is supposed to be superior.

I've skied with just the middle buckle at points. Due to some foot pain issues, it was typical for me to ski with just the middle and top buckle for the first hour or two last year.

skidmarks

Meine liebe Krypton

oct-08_045.jpg

2004 Krypton Cross
Soft Bootboard
ID Silver Liner
Aline under liner
Booster Strap
My weight 185lbs at 5'8"
EEE foot
Past boots include X-Wave 10 and Lange X-9

I've lowered the boot board to gain more volume. The inner shell has been ground out and pushed out in several spots. I got the boots with the 1st generation liners that were replaced by season 2. The next Feb I went for the ID liner, been real happy ever since.

I've removed the forward lean shim and like the softer tongues. I still change flex from time to time.
The Krypton is a great free-ride and speed event boot. Works real well in powder and trees too!

deadheadskier

Staff member
End of last season I was at 215-220, and I go with the stiff tongues.

I'm 195, hoping to be 185-190 by mid season and I still think I'll be going with the stiff tongues. I tried on a Rampage before I ordered the Pros online and whatever tongues they had in them I could fold over like a piece of paper....felt almost like moon boots they were so soft.

I typically want my boots to be as stiff as possible. Back in high school and for several years after when I skied bumps 95% of the time, I typically was in a Lange or Rossi race boot. I never really had issues with shin bang like some people seem to get.

skidmarks

Rampage is for boys

I'm 195, hoping to be 185-190 by mid season and I still think I'll be going with the stiff tongues. I tried on a Rampage before I ordered the Pros online and whatever tongues they had in them I could fold over like a piece of paper....felt almost like moon boots they were so soft.

I typically want my boots to be as stiff as possible. Back in high school and for several years after when I skied bumps 95% of the time, I typically was in a Lange or Rossi race boot. I never really had issues with shin bang like some people seem to get.

No wonder, the rampage is for your twiggy teen types. The stiff tongues felt like a big spring.It does take a while to get used to the softer feel of the boot. The stiff tongues are available ala carte if anyone ever needs them

skidmarks

Stiffer is not always better

Yeah, the Cross has the stiffness insert too, he already put that in the boot I was trying on last night. I'll probably just end up with the Cross and getting the stiffer tongue, I guess they're not terribly expensive. I like the sound of the stiffer Gold liner, but I guess my monster feet won't fit... :(

Gold liner is firmer and denser. You need the room man!
You may need the stiffer tongue if you want more than a 120 Flex but you can get one later if you need it.
Stiffer is not always better..........

bvibert

Staff member
That's alright, my wallet doesn't like the added cost of the pro anyway. It's not sure where I expect to find the money for the Cross's either, but that's another matter.

Gold liner is firmer and denser. You need the room man!
You may need the stiffer tongue if you want more than a 120 Flex but you can get one later if you need it.
Stiffer is not always better..........

too stiff = less ankle flex = bend at knees, break at waist, welcome to the back seat. The stiffer the boot the more it reduces your ability to bend at the ankle and stay in balance.

bvibert

Staff member
I understand that you don't want the boot to be too stiff, but it stands to reason that I'd need a stiffer boot at 260ish pounds than that of Greg at 130ish (or whatever his scrawny ass weighs). A good portion of my weight is in my legs. You can't possibly weigh as much as I do and be even moderately active without having strong legs. Most boots feel like toys on my feet to me...

powbmps

I'm skiing in what I think is the first year Krypton Pro (black w/greenish buckles) with 8mm wedge, rubber footbed and stiff tongue. I found the softer tongue to be too soft, even when cold.

Anyone know if the current tongues are rated the same as the original model?

Mine didn't come with the ID liner so I'm using a pair of Raichle Thermoflex liners. Probably picking up a pair of Intuition liners sooner than later.

bvibert

Staff member
Holy Crap Greg, you are only 5 lbs over me!
You better make sure to let Brian hit the fall line ahead of you. If he were to fall on you, he'd snap you like a twig. :eek:

Naw, Greg floats over the bumps, so he gets down faster anyway. I just kind of smash into them...

Greg

Staff member
Holy Crap Greg, you are only 5 lbs over me!
You better make sure to let Brian hit the fall line ahead of you. If he were to fall on you, he'd snap you like a twig. :eek:

Thin is in! :lol:

I think Austin really is 135 and 6'1".

Trekchick

Does it make sense to have a back up pair of boots?
I absofreakinlutly love my Kryptons, and though I am likely selling my old Storms, I wonder if I would be wise to keep that second pair, just in case I have an issue with a boot on a powder day and need a faithful friend for back up.

Who has a boot quiver?

Rossi Smash

Does it make sense to have a back up pair of boots?
I absofreakinlutly love my Kryptons, and though I am likely selling my old Storms, I wonder if I would be wise to keep that second pair, just in case I have an issue with a boot on a powder day and need a faithful friend for back up.

Who has a boot quiver?

Would you believe I do? :roll:

IF three pair is a quiver of boots