• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

Philpug

It seems that a lot of gear threads here have turned into Krypton threads, so lets bring our Krypton talk here. What model are you in? how long have you been in them? what were you in before? What modifications have you done?

Here are some of my early posts from Epic (11/04)

Well, I was able to get my shells, no liners, just shells. I am told that I am the only civilian with Kryptons at this point. Boots will be arriving tomorrow for store distribution later this week into next week.

I have the Krypton Pro's. In the box comes a ton of parts...

2 sets of tongues, regular and stiff. The stiff is very stiff
2 set footbeds, hard and soft.
2 sets of cuff shims, ala old flexons
2 sets of inner cuff blocks, *new* you can use these to keep lower cuff from flexing to make the boot stiffer
4 sets of ankle cants
1 set of arch supports

Volume, I put in my flexon thermoflex liners and my foot is squeezed making me think that the folume is less than current Flexons, not as expected.

Buckles, those of you who ever buckled up a Flexon will think you are in heaven.

Weight, boots is heavier, but more substantial

Flex, with all of the attatchments, for all of you who looked for race tongues, I would be very surprised if you can't get the boot stiff enough.

Now, I will open up the floor for questions.

Long awaited review.

I posted alot about the fit and design of the boot here.

Being in Flexons since 1994, I know what my feet like. Being in the "industry", I have had opportunites to ski alot of boots all either free ot very cheap. I would sooner "pay" for a Flexon than ski another boot for free. With that said...

After my first turn, my thoughts were "I'm home". This boot is a Flexon on steriods, I know thats not a a good word to use with everything going on is sports right now, but this boot had bulked up and is beefer in every way. Anyone whe has ever changed a boot knows there is adjustments to be made, it might take one run, one day, one week or more. Sometimes those adjustments never happen and you go back to your old boot. For those who are in Flexons, these adjustments aren't there, this boots doesn't even take one TURN to adjust to. The boots in a Flexon, your feet will not know any different. The lateral responce of the boots is stiffer than the Fexon was so the ski reaction is more responsive, you will either see more out of you ski or its shortcomings will be exposed.

Boot volume: There has beed alot of concern here. I cannot speek for the stock liner, but using a Thermoflex liner, the fit was tha same as my previous boots, now what were they? ;) For thsoe that were in Flexons, I do not see any worries that you will be swimming in these, for those who couldn't fit in Flexons, unless you have Fred Flintstone feet, you can add these to your shopping list.

All I can say at this point... Flexon who?

Being founder and residing President of F.L.o.A, I will be stepping down from the latter position. I will be accepting applications for the position, please e-mail me if you or you know anyone who would be qualified.

Currently I am in the following version:

IMG_1590.jpg

I call it my Stealth model.

05 Pro shell 306mm
08 buckles
IL Moro ladder swap
08 IL Moro Silver Liner
Booster Straps (not pictured)
Soft zeppa
Superfeet Cork bed
2 deg shim

I also have a pair of IL Moro shells that I ski from time to time, but my son took them over.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have last years Krypton Pros....in terms of modifications, I need to sit down with a boot fitter to figure that all through. All I know for now is that I have the stiff tongues in and the shock absorbing foot beds. Those seem pretty easy to switch in and out....other stuff looks a little more difficult to figure out.

Greg

Staff member
Krypton owners unite!!!

2009 Krypton Pro with the gold ID liner:

IMG_4104.jpg

Notice also my matching snazzy new poles, also with green grips. Radical. :cool: :lol:

I'm using my existing Inst-print foot beds. I have mine set up with the anti-shock footboards and the soft tongues. I have the 8mm wedge in place and no stiffness insert. It's my understanding that that's not a good combo, i.e. if you use a wedge, you should have the stiffness insert in place. Given that I'm in the low volume gold liners which are supposed to be pretty stiff, I want to get the forward flex as soft as possible on the shell. Also, the primary purpose for going with this boot was to help in the bumps as it seems like it's the go to boot now for bump skiers. With that said, I think I want the forward lean as far forward as possible, but again I'm not sure if the 8mm wedge with no stiffness insert is appropriate. Anyone have any thoughts there?

I'm wearing them as we speak. Everything feels good, except for some pressure at the base of both tibias (that inner ankle bone). We'll have to see if that improves once I get the chance to ski them. I'm loving the snugness though. I'm down to a 28.0 and I wear a size 12 street shoe so basically down two full sizes. I'm coming off Nordica Speedmachine 12s. Luckily the BSL difference was only 1 mm so readjusting the bindings was a snap. I didn't even have to move them on my Legends.

BTW, anyone looking for an '08 Pro in a 25.0 or 25.5, this is a pretty sick deal:

http://www.rememberdelaware.com/Dalbello-Krypton-Pro-Ski-Boot-p/701001.htm

gmcunni

I'm a lowly Proton owner. curious, i thought more buckles were more better but the superior Krypton only has 3. is less more these days?

Philpug

I'm a lowly Proton owner. curious, i thought more buckles were more better but the superior Krypton only has 3. is less more these days?

It is more the placement of the buckles..the middle buckle pretty much does the work of 2, but better, it pulls you into the heel pocket. That is before we even talk about the floating tongue and hinge design.

Greg

Staff member

The middle buckle is most important and the position of it on the Krypton along with the hinge point is supposed to be superior. At least that what Glen Plake says:

Trekchick

What philpug said about the hinge point is a nice feature. Compare the three-piece, three-buckle boot, hinge point to that of a four buckle boot and you'll see how much more natural it is for the anatomy, at least on my anatomy. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Krypton Cross's. I would have gone for the Pro's, but they say that the gold liners are too low volume for my foot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
2009 Krypton Pro with the gold ID liner:

IMG_4104.jpg

Notice also my matching snazzy new poles, also with green grips. Radical. :cool: :lol:

I'm using my existing Inst-print foot beds. I have mine set up with the anti-shock footboards and the soft tongues. I have the 8mm wedge in place and no stiffness insert. It's my understanding that that's not a good combo, i.e. if you use a wedge, you should have the stiffness insert in place. Given that I'm in the low volume gold liners which are supposed to be pretty stiff, I want to get the forward flex as soft as possible on the shell. Also, the primary purpose for going with this boot was to help in the bumps as it seems like it's the go to boot now for bump skiers. With that said, I think I want the forward lean as far forward as possible, but again I'm not sure if the 8mm wedge with no stiffness insert is appropriate. Anyone have any thoughts there?

I'm wearing them as we speak. Everything feels good, except for some pressure at the base of both tibias (that inner ankle bone). We'll have to see if that improves once I get the chance to ski them. I'm loving the snugness though. I'm down to a 28.0 and I wear a size 12 street shoe so basically down two full sizes. I'm coming off Nordica Speedmachine 12s. Luckily the BSL difference was only 1 mm so readjusting the bindings was a snap. I didn't even have to move them on my Legends.

BTW, anyone looking for an '08 Pro in a 25.0 or 25.5, this is a pretty sick deal:

http://www.rememberdelaware.com/Dalbello-Krypton-Pro-Ski-Boot-p/701001.htm

Did they change anything between 08 and 09 as yours look exactly the same as mine.

This is the first boot I ever bought online without trying it on first....though I did try the rampage in the same size. I got the same deal as what you posted, $349 free shipped in either a 26 or 26.5....can't remember. Size 9.5 regular shoe for me.

Trekchick

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Krypton Cross's. I would have gone for the Pro's, but they say that the gold liners are too low volume for my foot.
Phil is more knowledgeable than I am on the liners, but IIRC, the gold liner is stiffer and a smidge less volume, however, the shells are the same in the whole and half sizes so, (using mine as an example) I have two Kryptons, 24.5 shell. One with a 24 liner and one with a 24.5 liner. My 24 liner is the gold, while my 24.5 liner is the silver.
I have not skied the 24 yet, but I am eager to get on snow with them.!

Deadheadskier, the 08 is more of a slime green, while the 09 is more of a lighter, chalky green.

Philpug

The 09 has a different upper with a beefier spine. Note the different middle buckles too. I prefer the Silver liner over the gold to the point where I have skied the Silver out of the box even before molding.

Trekchick

The 09 has a different upper with a beefier spine. Note the different middle buckles too. I prefer the Silver liner over the gold to the point where I have skied the Silver out of the box even before molding.
Funny, I thought the gold liner was more comfy out of the box.
I'm sure that you're right though.

Do you know if they've changed anything on the storm other than colour?

bvibert

Staff member

Does the gold make the boot seem stiffer, or is it just a little lower volume?

deadheadskier

Staff member

upon closer look, indeed the middle binding is quite different. I'm not sure how much I like the 08' center buckle as it seems flimsy, but I did like the price.

Philpug

Funny, I thought the gold liner was more comfy out of the box.
I'm sure that you're right though.

Do you know if they've changed anything on the storm other than colour?

Same as the rest of teh Krypton line, Cuff, spine, and buckles.

Does the gold make the boot seem stiffer, or is it just a little lower volume?
Stiffer, you will notice the flex rating of the Cross and Pro is slightly different, Apples to Apples, the Gold is rated at 5 stiffer... whatever that translates to.

upon closer look, indeed the middle binding is quite different. I'm not sure how much I like the 08' center buckle as it seems flimsy, but I did like the price.
I have played with both.."same but different" nothing to upgrade for.

bvibert

Staff member

For the price you paid I'd be happy with a center buckle hand formed from a piece of wire coat hanger. ;)

Trekchick

I, as well as many others, have gotten a lot of miles on the old style middle buckle

Here are a couple pics of my 07 storm side by side with the 09 Kryzma(the Kryzma is a step above the storm in stiffness. I immediately noted three things. Cuff height, wider booster strap and the change in the middle buckle.

n830505017_4391668_6290.jpg

n830505017_4391669_6565.jpg

n830505017_4391670_6888.jpg

n830505017_4391672_7505.jpg