• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Garfield May 21st

SilentCal

Mount Garfield
Date Hiked- May 21st
Trails Used- Garfield Trail and Garfield Ridge Trails
Distance- 10 miles covered in six hours with an hour stay at the summit.
Conditions- Several mcuky spots on the lower half with several minor blowdowns to move around. Stream crossings were basically rock hops
Report: MichealJ, MtnMagic, Jaytrek57, NH Mtn Hiker, Dirt girl, Vickie, Sonic Boom, Becky, Dave and Jules and myself started upwards around 9:00. The woods were starting to come alive and the trail was very easy to follow. Several minor mucky patches and minor blowdowns along the way. Encountered snow at the second Switchback and have about a foot and a half of it on the ground by the fourth switchback. Care was needed in the steep pitch just before the summit as there were some icy sections. Summit was bare of snow and views were okat but we could see the surrounding areas getting rained on. Descent was a postholing affair in some spots but everyone did quite well, considering for some this was their first big hike of the season. Congrats go to Becky on her first 4000 footer!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
woods were starting to come alive

That's an understatement. While it's still early and leaf cover down in the hardwoods is very thin, there are spots where the forest has that vivid green tang of new life that only comes for a week or two in the spring.

In fact, I went for a drive through Crawford Notch the next day, and in the eastern side suddenly burst into about a half mile of spectacular woods, so bright green that they seemed to be glowing even in the grey-clouded rain.

The blackflies may be just starting to appear in the lower elevations, but the woods are indeed alive and majestic with spring.

MtnMagic

You great folks are so nice that this hike was (one of the first of the spring) for us. I don't remember any blowdowns. What I do remember is a super time. Then it get's a lot better!!!