• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Welch Dickey Loop 5/22/2005

SilentCal

Date Hiked: May 22, 2005

Trails Hiked: Welch Dickey Loop

Total Distance: 4.4 miles

Difficulty: Care was needed on some of the steeper wet slabs

Conditions: Rainy Conditions made for care to taken on some of the wet slabs. Trails were wet and very soggy with large puddles in and along the trails. One massive blowdown about a halfway between Mt. Dickey and the trailhead. Huge tree is leaning against two others over the trail and the tree holding everything up does not look to be very strong!

Special Required Equipment: Rain gear today same in handy.

Trip Report: Bob R and his son met me at the trailhead. We headed up the loop in a counterclockwise direction. I had never done this loop and Bob assured me that I was in for a treat. The first ledges of Mt. Welch opened up to us and see could see some of the Sandwich Range under the undercast. We made our way to summit and noticed and unique cairn in the col between the two peaks. A very odd balancing rock to say the least. Good views back to Mt Welch as we ascended Mt. Dickey. The southern ledges of Dickey were a great place to take a break. Watch out for the large blowdown that is being supported up by a small tree. Could fall at any time. While the weather was not so great the company was and I really enjoyed the hike. Bob was right, I'll have to come and do this again in foliage season.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Dang - I thought the hike wasn't happening. D'oh! Those ledges can be super-slippery when wet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. That's a great little hike and in foliage season is indeed spectacular. Here's a pic, a week or two before peak. The colored trees are like a sponge painting...

Vortex

I really had alot of fun. SilentCal made my son and I feel like we had been friends for years. It takes some patience to hike with kids and SilentCal did it with ease. I was sorry the views were a minimal. If no one else had shown up my son and I were just going to do the Dickey side and stay off the rocks. We were glad we got to do the loop. Nice to meet my 1st member of this side of the board. Even happier to have gotten a PM a couple weeks earlier asking to join the hike. Very nice. Hope we do this again.

Michael J We do the loop in late September to get the 1st look of foliage. We do this a few times a year because it is a kid friendly hike and great views without alot of effort.

SilentCal

Nothing you could do about the views Bob, unless you have a secret pact or handshake with the local weatherman! Now does anyone want to help me with this Ark that I am building...... :roll:

MtnMagic

Glad you 3 are safe and sound after this hike in the rain. Wow, if I had known this was really going to happen, ghostdog and I would have certainly joined in. You did it during the on & off rains of the morning. I missed it foolishly and decided to head home. Wish I joined you!!!
:roll:

Vortex

MtnMagic said:
Glad you 3 are safe and sound after this hike in the rain. Wow, if I had known this was really going to happen, ghostdog and I would have certainly joined in. You did it during the on & off rains of the morning. I missed it foolishly and decided to head home. Wish I joined you!!!
:roll:

Like to meet you sometime, kind of in the same neck of the woods sort of speak. Kind of new to the hiking side. Having fun learning.

MtnMagic

Hey there Bob! Do you want to/can you hike to the Alpine Gardens on Big George with SilentCal and our small group on June 11. I wish to meet everyone to hike with. Free free to pm me. Anyone who's from hike-nh is immediately a friend. Let's go hiking !!!

With best regards,
Magic
:D