• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

JAY PEAK RESORT: 2005 Alpinezone Ski Area Challenge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Steve Wright from Jay Peak Resort has agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official responses.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. We'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the threads. :wink:

As always, please be respectful of Steve and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Jay needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

Greg

Staff member
Now that you've gone through an entire season at Jay, how does working there compare to your time spent at Killington? What are some pros and cons to working at each resort? What things that you learned at Killington did you apply to the marketing operations at Jay?

GrizzlyFD

I ran into one of the resort reps on the tram and he said that Jay is planning to cut some trails in the west bowl this summer and have lifts up for winter 06/07. How many trails will they have for winter 05/06? Will they be open/accesible from current trails?

Will Jay cut anymore "glades" into their existing trail network (like deliverance and BBP) or add any of the numerous "unnamed runs" (saddle, pumphouse, etc..)?

What have they done (if anything) to repair the damage (trail cutting) out to Big Jay?

Snow reporting has come under some scrutiny recently with accurate snow reporting on the decline and "big numbers" snow reporting on the increase to attract more skiers/riders. What is Jay's stance on snow reporting and how is it done (official meters on the mountain, groomers opinion, a big stick, etc...)?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Will you keep the reciprocal pass program with Burke Mountain alive? Though the representative that answered the questions last year did not have a favorable opinion of this program, I share the same view as Bill Stenger when I say that having two resorts in the Northeast Kingdom will draw more skiers and riders than just one. The sole reason why I bought a Jay pass was because it was reciprocal with Burke.

Tin Woodsman

Can you provide any details on the current plan for the West Bowl expansion? Preliminary documentation that I've seen is pretty scary in that it includes 2 detatchable six-packs and another 2 quads. Surely such massive capacity would overwhelm the trails and glades with skiers, would it not? Of particular concern is the idea of placing the top terminal of a HS quad adjacent to the terminal of the Green Mt Flyer. While enabling skiers and riders to easily traverse to the Stateside area from West Bowl is a laudable goal, couldn't this be accomplished in a manner that would dramatically overload already-crowded trails like Goat Run and Northway?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
Can you provide any details on the current plan for the West Bowl expansion? Preliminary documentation that I've seen is pretty scary in that it includes 2 detatchable six-packs and another 2 quads. Surely such massive capacity would overwhelm the trails and glades with skiers, would it not? Of particular concern is the idea of placing the top terminal of a HS quad adjacent to the terminal of the Green Mt Flyer. While enabling skiers and riders to easily traverse to the Stateside area from West Bowl is a laudable goal, couldn't this be accomplished in a manner that would dramatically overload already-crowded trails like Goat Run and Northway?

Great question. I can't find any good diagrams/maps of the proposed addition... :-?

GrizzlyFD

thetrailboss said:
Tin Woodsman said:

Great question. I can't find any good diagrams/maps of the proposed addition... :-?

>>Current plans call for the addition of 18 glades and intermediate trails and up to three lifts, which will access both the top of the West Bowl area and link skiers and riders back to Tramside.
http://www.jaypeakresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=17750

You are correct in saying that the most recent press release state numerous (a ridiculous amount) of high speed lifts.
amp_for_web_gif003.gif

you can get a larger picture at:
http://www.jaypeakrealestate.com/page.asp?intNodeID=17122

eatskisleep

Are there any plans to eventually upgrade the Jet Triple chair or even expand further on that side of the mountain?
Maybe even the non high speed quad? Personally I would rather see the non-high speed quad upgraded and keep the triple the way it is becasue the triple is a nice place to go when it is crowded and stiff get some nice runs in.

awf170

I did not go to jay peak this year, even though I really love it and it is one of my favorate ski areas. So my question is I heard that you did not clean out the brush in your glades last off season so they were not skiable until mid season. Also if this is true are you going to clean them out this offseason

awf170

Tin Woodsman said:

does anyone know how the capacity on theses 6 packs are compared to the norm, on that map 1 is 3200 people per hour and the other 2 are 2600... just noticed i have never even rode on a 6pack guess i try to stay away from places like that, must stop alot because there are plenty of morons that are confused with the HSQ's

GrizzlyFD

awf170 said:
Tin Woodsman said:

does anyone know how the capacity on theses 6 packs are compared to the norm, on that map 1 is 3200 people per hour and the other 2 are 2600... just noticed i have never even rode on a 6pack guess i try to stay away from places like that, must stop alot because there are plenty of morons that are confused with the HSQ's

I think the capacity is based on the length/speed/number of persons(quad/six/eight) of the lift. The lifts vary slightly in speed so I think that for the most part the uphill capacity for lifts of equal length are the same. That said, newer HS lifts are probably faster than older, original detachable and thus have a higher uphill capacity.

The six packs are suitable for high capacity areas with large or open slopes, not for small trails and glades. I would rather wait 5-10 minutes in a line and ski an open slope than zip up to the top of the mountain and ski through a sea of people. I hope Jay doesn't put in any six packs in the West bowl area.

GrizzlyFD

Anyone who's ever visited Jay during a cold January day knows that the worst part of the resort is the Green Mountain Flyer (Freezer). After the lift crosses Goat Run (the first time) the wind can become unbearable. Is there any plans to enclose the lift (shield)?

In that same regard, are there any plans to build fences/plant trees to help stop the wind that can scrape snow off the trails and leave resembling more of an ice rink rather than a ski slope. Some locations that can be particularly bad are the top of exhibition (which is almost always unskiiable), the top/middle part of northwest passage (which is always closed), and upper can am.

NHpowderhound

Jay is notorious for wind. It cant be avoided. Show me a 'Noreaster and i'll show you a mountain shut down the day the storm pulls out. Why not put in some sort of surface lift for the upper mountain? Jay has enough of a die hard cult that would still use an exposed surface lift to get into the trees on a brutal day.
((*
*))NHPH

eatskisleep

Since so guys are huge in size and get a lot better weather (for skiing) than almost anywhere else, why don't you try to stay open longer than Killington and other areas like that?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some good questions here...keep them coming...I'm going to send these out probably tomorrow, so post your questions!!! :wink:

awf170

Are you thinking about doing anything to the stateside lodge, because it seems like is always packed. Also what about something like a little warming hut over at the base of jet, because it is pain going back and forth from that stateside lodge. And I would like to complement you guys on the soup over at stateside the best I have ever had at a ski area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Much better questions and answers when comapred to last season. :p I'm a bit disheartened to hear about the "modifications" to the Burke/Jay Pass Deal...so much so that I may not ask for a Burke pass for xmas. Part of the package was the full benefits to Jay for pre and post-season. :(