• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bummin' that it's winding down?

Rossi Smash

Get a set of studded tires. Or make your own. :)

Although I do have studded tires for both the MTB and my dirt bike, I actually enjoy the "off season" and seldom use them. I really don't want to pedal 12 months of the year.
The time off, to persue other interests (SKI) makes me then look forward to cycling season come April just as Skiing Dec. thru March keeps that fresh as well. Too much of anything without a break gets old for me....

Trekchick

Rossi and Wa Loaf, I am mostly perplexed by my husband's desire to have an ice bike because winter is "our" time together on the slopes.
Oh well, I'll just go alone, if he's on the lake.
He is calling this bike his project bike and told me to keep an open mind when I see it.
What's that supposed to mean? :???:

Rossi Smash

Rossi and Wa Loaf, I am mostly perplexed by my husband's desire to have an ice bike because winter is "our" time together on the slopes.
Oh well, I'll just go alone, if he's on the lake.
He is calling this bike his project bike and told me to keep an open mind when I see it.
What's that supposed to mean? :???:

"Project" is code for either an older bike in rough shape with parts missing OR a really neglected newer bike usually owned by a "buy a new one every two years" kinda guy.
It can also mean "P O S"
It'll keep him busy and outta your hair for ski season ;-)

Trekchick

"Project" is code for either an older bike in rough shape with parts missing OR a really neglected newer bike usually owned by a "buy a new one every two years" kinda guy.
It can also mean "P O S"
It'll keep him busy and outta your hair for ski season ;-)
Mr TC gets a new Dirtbike every two years, but his old bikes that he sells are usually in great condition when he sells them but that's because he races enduros and he needs his bikes to be mechanically sound.

It means it will never run. ;-)

He also has a Montessa, a 1961 Yamaha trail bike, and a 57 Chevy that are "project's"
I know all about taking up garage space. The thing that will get this one done is the fact that he has buddies who ride ice and will bug him to get it done.
Hmmmm, it just occurred to me, perhaps they want him to do this because we have equipment to plow the ice :roll:

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
Winding down?

Doesn't stop for me except if it's way too cold to ride. Probably going to turn my other SS rig into a quasi snow bike by getting the fattest tire I can fit up front (2.7s) and the fattest tire in the back (2.5s) and ride that in the fluffy stuff.

On top of that, I think I am going to ask Santi-claus for some tele-skis and boots and try that this year while my daughter skis.

gmcunni

I'm bumming.. while i still have a long way to go in terms of skill I've noticed a mental change when i ride lately. instead of avoiding rocks, fallen trees and other obstacles i actually look for them and at least attempt to do something interesting with them. i don't always succeed but at least i've started to try.

now if i could just get up nerve to try some of those jumps i saw at Nepaug . . . :)

Greg

Staff member
I'm bumming.. while i still have a long way to go in terms of skill I've noticed a mental change when i ride lately. instead of avoiding rocks, fallen trees and other obstacles i actually look for them and at least attempt to do something interesting with them. i don't always succeed but at least i've started to try.

now if i could just get up nerve to try some of those jumps i saw at Nepaug . . . :)

There's definitely a mental component. Just like skiing. I'm hoping some of the "go for it" attitude I've picked up on the MTB works on skis.

bvibert

Staff member
There's definitely a mental component. Just like skiing. I'm hoping some of the "go for it" attitude I've picked up on the MTB works on skis.

Completely agree there. I gotta stop looking at stuff and just do it, in both sports. :spread:

Greg

Staff member
My mountain bike will probably live all winter at the bottom of my basement stairs, which means I will walk by it several times a day as I head out to the garage. That should keep it on the brain all winter and I'm going to be pumped to resume riding in the spring, and likely 2 months earlier than I started this year. My goal next year is 600 miles, or double what I will eventually ride this summer.

o3jeff

You did do a great job riding thru when we would stop to figure out where we were and we would see you up the trail hitting anything in site. At the end of the ride I am sure if we brought you back to those first few jumps you opted out of you probably would of hit them all.

Trekchick

I made tons of progress this year in my riding but I'll admit that my crash got in my head a bit. The toughest distance to jump is that 6 inches between my ears, in skiing and biking. :(

Greg

Staff member
Riding waitsfield tomorrow.....ain't over till it is...

Totally. I hope to ride at least weekly until ski season is in full swing.

2knees

anyone down for one more nepaug trip? get that "go for it" mentality going again? :lol:

Greg

Staff member
get that "go for it" mentality going again? :lol:

Most of us normal people do have to work up to that. You, well, you're already mental.