• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

JIMINY PEAK: The 2005 Alpinezone Ski Area Challenge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sally Johnstone, the Director of Sales and Marketing at Jiminy Peak has agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official responses.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. We'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the threads. :wink:

As always, please be respectful of Sally and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Jiminy needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away! :D

Greg

Staff member
What feedback have you received on the new Outback summit trail? The trail is rather flat, so much so that unless you're barreling down it off the summit you can't maintain any momentum to reach West Way. My understanding is the goal for the summit trails was to relieve some overcrowding on Left Bank and West Way, but I feel the grade of Outback is prohibitive in that many folks will opt not to take after they try it once. They trail starts off with a nice pitch and even a nice turn, but then it dies. I've even seen some snowboarders have to unstrap and walk to West Way. Round-a-bout on the other hand is a nice natural trail with a much better pitch. It's a great way to reach the Widow White's peak and trails like Cutter from the Berkshire Express.

Sparky

Jiminy Peak

With the new terrain park, on what was the Ace of Spades, there seems to much more use of the Riblet. Do you have any plans of replaceing this old lift?
By the way, the new location of the terrain park is great, it keeps the park rats out of the main stream.

Greg

Staff member
I was pleased to see Cutter set up as a bump run this season. What feedback did you receive on that decision? I did not get the chance to ski the bump run on Grand Slam. Do you carry out the plan to create manmade bumps there? Will you be expanding your mogul run offerings next season?

I skied at Jiminy during the more weather-challenging months of December and January this season. Jericho seemed to be the best trail during each of my visits. The surface was always very well covered and a pleasure to ski. Has mountain opps been concentrating on Jericho more this season than in years past?

What feedback did you receive regarding the clearing of the former Riptide/Willie's Gulch glade in favor of a groomed intermediate run with snowmaking? Is Jiminy management happy with this decision overall? Are there any plans to offer any new gladed areas to replace these?

Are there any terrain expansion plans in place for the 2005-2006 season?

Sparky

Light

Any chance of improving the lighting on trails that are currently light? There are places on West Way and the shoot as well as Left bank that appear to have had lighting, but did not for all of last season.

Sparky

I understand the land off of Widow White's peak is owned by a hunting club. Any chance of getting the use of some of that land for more trails?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Getting some more good questions here...keep them coming...let's aim for having this one wrapped up tomorrow PM or so. :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Any plans to upgrade the summit triple in the near future?

An AlpineZone member noted that as of May 28, there was still a small patch of snow on Exhibition. Did Jiminy Peak blow more snow than usual this season, or was that remnant simply a result of a cooler spring?

Greg

Staff member
With all the recent development of the Jiminy Peak base area, I've heard many refer to the resort as "Stratton South". What is your opinion of this comment?

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK...I'm pulling the plug on this one to make way for the BEast. Get 'yer questions in, please!

Greg

Staff member
Short, but sweet. And timely too! Each question was answered fully. I'm satisfied. I love the up front and honest responses to question 1. Also glad to hear that a triple upgrade is not too far off...