• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tornado Watch

Greg

Staff member
ALERT 1 - Tornado Watch
STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1230 PM EDT MON JUN 6 2005 THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH UNTIL 6:00PM EDT
Issue Time: 12:26PM EDT, Monday Jun 6, 2005
Valid Until: 6:00PM EDT, Monday Jun 6, 2005
Back to summary

STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1230 PM EDT MON JUN 6 2005 THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH UNTIL 6:00PM EDT
Sel4 Spc Ww 061630

Urgent - Immediate Broadcast Requested Tornado Watch Number 414 Nws Storm Prediction Center Norman Ok 1230 PM EDT Mon Jun 6 2005

The Nws Storm Prediction Center Has Issued A Tornado Watch For Portions Of

Northwest Connecticut Western Massachusetts Central And Eastern New York Northeast Pennsylvania Southern Vermont

Effective This Monday Afternoon And Evening From 1230 PM Until 600 PM EDT.

Tornadoes... Hail To 2.5 Inches In Diameter... Thunderstorm Wind Gusts To 80 Mph... And Dangerous Lightning Are Possible In These Areas.

The Tornado Watch Area Is Approximately Along And 70 Statute Miles North And South Of A Line From 40 Miles South Southwest Of Ithaca New York To 30 Miles North Northeast Of Pittsfield Massachusetts. For A Complete Depiction Of The Watch See The Associated Watch Outline Update (wous64 Kwns Wou4).

Remember... A Tornado Watch Means Conditions Are Favorable For Tornadoes And Severe Thunderstorms In And Close To The Watch Area. Persons In These Areas Should Be On The Lookout For Threatening Weather Conditions And Listen For Later Statements And Possible Warnings.

Other Watch Information... Continue... Ww 413...

Discussion... Severe Squall Line Has Developed Central NY/Nrn PA. Air Mass Now Very Unstable E Of Line With Mlcapes In Excess Of 3000 J/Kg. Veering Shear Profiles Will Support Embedded Supercells With And Possibly In Advance Of The Line. Along With Very Damaging Winds... Isolated Tornadoes Are Likely.

Aviation... Tornadoes And A Few Severe Thunderstorms With Hail Surface And Aloft To 2.5 Inches. Extreme Turbulence And Surface Wind Gusts To 70 Knots. A Few Cumulonimbi With Maximum Tops To 550. Mean Storm Motion Vector 24040.

... Hales

;425,0764 435,0730 414,0730 405,0764;

Greg

Staff member
Yup. Gonna be a rough afternoon:

Intellicast Hartford Radar:
bgm+IAmStealingFromIntellicast.gif

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
ALLSKIING said:
Nasty looking storm line on the radar. I think it will will break up some as it moves east.
We've been watching what was a little blip in western NY at 6 am blossom into what Greg posted from the radar image. I don't know how much breaking up it will do. Since I'm on the northern edge of the warnig area ("a line...30 miles north of Pittsfield), I'll let you know how we fare. :idea: Me thinks I won't be leaving the dog in her chainlink kennel, or tied to a chain that is staked in the ground....

dmc

Slamming into Albany now...

Looks like a good one...

loafer89

I came home at 4:00 and went for a quick swim in my pool, and then went straight to work cutting my lawn. I just put the tractor away and it is still not raining at 5:45

I think that the marine/onshore breeze really knocked the strength out of the squall line :eek:

loafer89

Yeah and it keeps Tornado's away as well. I can only remember hearing about on in Smithtown? and that was an F-0 about 20 years ago.

Dave, is the ocean alot colder than it has been in recent years?

loafer89

I was on Montauk Point with my son on May 14th, 2005 and all of the tree's from Amagansett on east were totally bare, while it was green elsewhere on Long Island. So the cold water really makes the difference out east.

The one thing that I like about living on Long Island is the big temperature/weather difference that we have from the mainland, sometimes it can be a forecasters nightmare, and alot of the time their forecast are wrong especially with winter storms.

loafer89

I just came back from dinner, and now at 7:45 there still is not a drop of rain, it's all because I cut my grass extra short :roll:

Aside from the weather, I ate at Famous Dave's Barbeque which just opened up in Smithtown, and the food is superb, I feel like I am going to pop, urgh.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I never saw a cell break up overhead...until yesterday. I got home about 4:45 and the wife came out and helped me get the dog crate out of my truck and into my basement workshop so that I could get the dog inside. Then we switched on the tv to get the latest 411 on the approaching storm (rumbles could be heard in the distance at this time). Ch 7 said a large cell was going to slam the Athol/Royalston area in about 15 min (now 5:30), so we went to the window and waited for the fireworks.

Then...nothing. The sky was black, the treetops started swaying, but nothing else. No rain, no lightning, nothing. Then, before my eyes I watched as the quick moving clouds seemed to slow down, almost to a crawl, and start to break up. We turned the tv back on, and the radar image showed the cell all but disappeared as it reached the town line. Kind of cool to see it happen in real-time, but definately an anticlimax to all of the hype behind it. We did end up with some rain and a few flashes, but nothing special.

Greg

Staff member
Dave called this one. We had some lightning and thunder, wind gusts and some relatively heavy rain, but certainly nothing severe. I guess the maritime air as far as 50 miles or so inland really took the life out of these storms. Looked pretty intense as they passed through Western NY though.

loafer89

It hardly rained at all where I live, maybe we got about a tenth of an inch, that's it. No lightning or thunder :-?

ChileMass

My in-laws in Saratoga apparently lost power yesterday at about 3-4PM and still don't have it back on. They lost a full-grown sugar maple and the phones were out for 6 hours.

My father-in-law is not one to exaggerate and went through the 1938 Labor Day hurricane as a kid on the shores of Long Island Sound. He said yesterday's thunderstorms were the worst he ever saw......

loafer89

My favorite weather story comes from the 1938 hurricane, about a man from Westhampton, Long Island who bought a barometer from Abercrombie and Fitch. When he got the barometer in the mail, the needle was stuck on Hurricane and would not budge.

The guy was so angry that he wrote a protest letter to the company and went to return it to them. By the time that he was able to get back to his house......

No more house

Lucky guy