• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which State has the longest coastline?

Which State has the longest coast line?

• CA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AK

• HI

• FL

• Total voters

loafer89

The highest peak east of the Mississippi is Mount Mitchell in North Carolina at 6,684' It's a nice place to visit especially during peak foliage.

Lowest point in the US:

My guess would be Death Valley at -212' (I think)

Greg

Staff member

loafer89

Michigan claims 11,000 miles of coastline (freshwater) second only to Alaska :eek:

It is not listed on the chart, but I guess that freshwater coastline still counts?

hammer

Re: the poll answers are wrong

Greg said:
Depends on how you measure it. See the descriptions of general coastline vs. tidal shoreline in the footnotes on this page:

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/page/725.html
Looking at the tables, it appears that Alaska wins no matter how it's measured...

Also, if you include tidal shoreline, there are several states that beat Maine out...

Good resource.

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Growing up in there, when I was a kid the teachers always told us it was Maine......
Yeah, but you were in school there was only like 13 states, uh, I mean colonies... ;)

hammer

Greg said:
ChileMass said:
Growing up in there, when I was a kid the teachers always told us it was Maine......
Yeah, but you were in school there was only like 13 states, uh, I mean colonies... ;)
If he was in school that long ago the answer would have been Massachusetts...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, I had heard that ME's coastline is just ridiculously long...they've got to have something to brag about...great state!

ctenidae

Alaska has more just on the Pacific than the entire Atlantic seaboard. Hands down the winner.

My scary geography story- My first round of college I was going to be a high school science teacher. PArt of teh education curriculum involves observing in classrooms. I went to one biology class where they were discussing climates. The teacher had an overhead of the world, no states/countries listed, that showed the various climate zones. One of the kids asked where North Carolina was (since that's where we were). Bad enough the kid couldn't find NC, but the teacher pointed to India, and said she thought NC was in that area. I almost fell over. Being the smart alec ass that I am, I of course had to correct her. Unbelievable. Not being able to pinpoint a city from an unmarked map is one thing. Not knowing the difference between India and the southeast coast of the US is another, entirely.

loafer89

As for the highest mean elevation in the USA by state I guess that Colorado is highest in the lower 48 and Alaska has the highest mean average?

For the lowest mean average, my guess would be Florida.

When I took meteorology in high school, we were given a blank map of the lower 48, I used to have fun putting in the state initials on the map.

I am trying to teach my son, the fundementals of geography right now.In my office I have National Geographic back to 1935, and tons of their books and maps. Hopefully he takes interest in it like his father :D

ChileMass

Greg said:
ChileMass said:

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Hey whippersnapper - next season this old guy will ski you into a ditch and leave you for the vultures.

To paraphrase PJ O'Rourke: Age and guile beat youth and a bad attitude......

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Hey whippersnapper - next season this old guy will ski you into a ditch and leave you for the vultures.
Promise? :wink:

loafer89

When I get home, I shall make my wife try this game. That should be interesting :roll:

I had fun with Rhode Island, it was smaller than my mouse cursor and I nearly dropped it into the Atlantic :eek:

Paul

ctenidae said:
Alaska has more just on the Pacific than the entire Atlantic seaboard. Hands down the winner.

My scary geography story- My first round of college I was going to be a high school science teacher. PArt of teh education curriculum involves observing in classrooms. I went to one biology class where they were discussing climates. The teacher had an overhead of the world, no states/countries listed, that showed the various climate zones. One of the kids asked where North Carolina was (since that's where we were). Bad enough the kid couldn't find NC, but the teacher pointed to India, and said she thought NC was in that area. I almost fell over. Being the smart alec ass that I am, I of course had to correct her. Unbelievable. Not being able to pinpoint a city from an unmarked map is one thing. Not knowing the difference between India and the southeast coast of the US is another, entirely.

Well....it was in North Carolina.....