• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which State has the longest coastline?

Which State has the longest coast line?

• CA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AK

• HI

• FL

• Total voters

loafer89

Another fun topic that I saw on Snowjournal was:

What is the highest lift served ski area east of the rockies?

awf170

loafer89 said:
Another fun topic that I saw on Snowjournal was:

What is the highest lift served ski area east of the rockies?
some stupid ski area in the stupid midwest.... i saw that 2 but the sugarloaf vs. killington arguement is always good... sugarloaf all the way it got those extra 2 ft!!!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Oh well, some schools don't focus on geography at all. I'm sure if we were to put a blank map up and have people label it (without looking at a map) many would not be able to do it.

awf170

teachski said:
Oh well, some schools don't focus on geography at all. I'm sure if we were to put a blank map up and have people label it (without looking at a map) many would not be able to do it.

i loved to geography when i was little and still do... when i was little i used to study atlas for fun... now i sit in history class and stare at the map thinking about ski areas and other junk like that...

teachski

Website
teachski.com
awf170 said:
teachski said:

i loved to geography when i was little and still do... when i was little i used to study atlas for fun... now i sit in history class and stare at the map thinking about ski areas and other junk like that...
...planning an escape route? hehe just kidding. ;)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
This is often used as a trick question where the answer is Maine, because of all the inlets and islands along its coast the "developed" coastline length (the web site above calls it the tidal coastline) is longer even than Alaska's.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
MichaelJ said:
This is often used as a trick question where the answer is Maine, because of all the inlets and islands along its coast the "developed" coastline length (the web site above calls it the tidal coastline) is longer even than Alaska's.

I would believe that if you're talking about the contiguous 48, but remember, Alaska has no shortage of inlets and islands either. That's why the 1048 number quoted above seems so low to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it was ten times that much.

SkiDog

teachski said:

I'd miss soo many out of the country. I think I could do the USA 100% without a problem.

Since I took a geography class the whole WORLD has changed. Theres "new" countries. Ones that used to be there are no longer there. I do agree though we should focus more on learning this stuff, it is kinda important. :D

M

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
riverc0il said:
teachski said:
kinda like these kids :roll:
Ever see Jay Leno "Jay-walking"? Yes, Virginia, people are that stupid. :dunce: At 18-24 years of age, I wouldn't even call them "kids". :-?

And people wonder why this country is a mess... 11% of it's citizens can't even find it on a map!!!

Right now I feel like that guy in Office Space: "Ever have one of those days when you just want to :uzi: ?"

Smitty

ga2ski

Probably and easy one for most of us, but what state has the highest peak east of the Mississippi? What is its name? What is it the summit elevation?

Answer:
North Carolina; Mount Mitchell - 6684 feet - (highest point east of the Mississippi River, in the Black Mountain range)I knew the state but not its name or elevation